Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumour about Customer Support

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Rumour about Customer Support

Maybe PN could send a small representative sample of customers over to South Africa to see for themselves (a bit like a customer open day).
They could then reassure the community on their return.
I am willing to sacrifice a little time to this worthy cause Cool
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
James
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
karnt PN biy the rest of the building then?

Not that easy Gary.
We just lease the bottom 4 floors.
James
Grafter

petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
There is one reference to a recommendation based on opinions of PC advisor readers in 2007
<snip>
This does not represent multi award winning customer services as suggested by Plusnet does it?

Hi Santiago
I've not been able to source a definitive complete list (not sure who might have one TBH) but armed only with Google, in ten minutes or so  I've found Madasafish awards as follows:
Winners:
ISPA Best Consumer broadband 2006
ISPA Best Consumer email 2007
Highly commended:
ISPA Best Consumer Broadband 2008 (Waitrose)
ISPA Best Light Broadband Finalist 2005
PC Pro Awards Best Broadband ISP 2007
PC Pro Awards Best Broadband ISP 2006
PC Advisor Broadband Awards Best ISP 2007
PC Advisor Broadband Awards Customer Satisfaction 2007
That's got to be a respectable haul of gongs in anyone's books?
We've also not done too badly either in the PC Pro Reliability Awards this year (for which the results have just been announced).
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/awards/index.php?pageId=11
Maybe next year, with our support centres working smartly together and with some good focus on business products, we can get back to where we give Zen a run for their money?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Jameseh
Not that easy Gary.
We just lease the bottom 4 floors.

So you don't own the building then?   Shocked
[Edit]
Didn't you own the building wen you were in the old Force9 building?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Lots of companies don't own the buildings - company I work for has a large number of shops and we don't own a single one. Nor the building I'm in right now.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mark
Grafter

The building is a multi purpose one Gary with the floors above us being city centre apartments and the adjacent units being for retail use. Even if we did lease those floors they'd be absolutely no use to us.
Leasing is fairly common practice in Business. The lease is an asset of the business during the lifetime of the lease.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes but I am 70% certain that Force9 did own the building, and yes a lot of companys don't own the building, for example the DHSS dozent own the building that vay are in now, in Middlesbrough.
[Edit]
Quote from: Mark
The lease is an asset of the business during the lifetime of the lease.

Yes it looks like all companys are doing it that way vees days!   Sad
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Quote from: techguy
Please please please, direct your main customers (the non white label ones) to your Sheffield facility because I want to deal with people from Sheffield I tell thee Smiley
Please translate "non white label". Does it mean the ones who don't have a record of being awkward  Shocked

Non white label means customers like myself who have signed up to plusnet rather than for example waitrose.
For the sake of anyone that doesn't know the term white label refers to where a company such as Plusnet provide the IP networking facilities in exchange for a fee from the company such as the John Lewis partnership or perhaps a share in the monthly sub.
in exchange, all communications and portals for the service are branded so unless you ran a tracert you would have no idea that the service wasn't being provided by waitrose.
The way I see it, I have bought into the company and its people for what it is rather than just because its a net connection.
Due to what I do for a living I tend to look a little deeper into an ISP (price did play a factor but I also looked at things such as the network info which influenced my decision to sign up)
While the point about Durban and Sheffield working closely is noted, the chances are that Durban is run by a contractor, not by plusnet and the good folks in sheffield built and operate their network on a daily basis so are far more likely to quickly pick up on a problem than a contracted call centre person who is reading from a script or having to have the customer hold while they consult with sheffield.
You buy net access from waitrose, you deserve what you get as you haven't really exercised a conscious choice but customers like me and others on here have.
Santiago
Grafter

@Peter Jackson
I assume you are agreeing with me as your list only has one customer service item. My point was there has been references to "awards for customer service" for the South African  customer support when if fact there has not. There is one recommendation which lacks validity and reliability. So what Plusnet have said in the blog yesterday and in these forums about customer service awards has been exaggerated.
I looked at the link for the PCpro awards and the ranking for Zen
WINNER: Zen Internet
Zen takes the top accolade – the UK’s best ISP – for five years running, and it’s abundantly clear why from the feedback we received. Over 97% of Zen’s customers would recommend the service, which compares rather well to the average figure of 68%. It excels for both customer support and reliability, being leaps ahead of the opposition.
My bold
I notice from the Zen website that their customer service is UK based 
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: techguy

The way I see it, I have bought into the company and its people for what it is rather than just because its a net connection.
Due to what I do for a living I tend to look a little deeper into an ISP (price did play a factor but I also looked at things such as the network info which influenced my decision to sign up)
While the point about Durban and Sheffield working closely is noted, the chances are that Durban is run by a contractor, not by plusnet and the good folks in sheffield built and operate their network on a daily basis so are far more likely to quickly pick up on a problem than a contracted call centre person who is reading from a script or having to have the customer hold while they consult with sheffield.
You buy net access from waitrose, you deserve what you get as you haven't really exercised a conscious choice but customers like me and others on here have.

IMHO, you have a rather distorted view of your position in the PlusNet Galaxy. You have not "bought in" to PlusNet; rather, you are simply a customer. PlusNet is not a Mutual company and as such, you have no place in their business decision making process. If you like the service you stay and if you don't , you can leave within the terms of your contract.
This Forum allows us to input our views to PlusNet to facilitate them giving us what we want for the fees we pay them. We are only one such party inputting views and in the spectrum of the galaxy, we are lower in priority than some others - for example BT who own the company.
Remember that it was BT who bought MAAF and lobbed it into the PlusNet portfolio. You have to consider that BT will be monitoring PlusNet's responsible use of the BT assets under its management and in this context, PlusNet have to consider the investment made in Durban and the perceived value of the service and quality of service that it provides to MAAF and JLP customers.
Only my opinion and I am entitled to that.  Smiley
chickendippers
Grafter

Virgin Mobile have a call centre in SA that compliments their UK operations; they've won the JD Power Customer Service Survey several years running and the Mobile Choice Awards - Best Customer Service every year since 2001. If Virgin Mobile can make it work that well, then I'm sure PN can too!
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Jameseh
And I'm from London/Herts.
Liam's raised a really good point here.  Myself and Mand have the highest billing visibility in the CSC.  And we can't see card details.  Not to mention that every "tab" than we look at on Workplace is monitored.  There's always a trial of anything that I've had a look at.

Please note - I'm in NO way accusing present staff in Sheffield of any malpractice - I'm just concerned about staff who are outside the jurastriction of the UK legal system.
But as someone who once had access to customers credit card info, we took orders on the phone, and wrote down the card details on paper before entering details on the machine ( not a computer ) - I had doubts at the time as to whether this was within the terms of our contract with card companies - but that's a separate issue !.  after doing that we should have destroyed the slip - but this was clearly open to abuse.
What I'm getting at here - is that do staff enter details of credit cards straight into the computer and not have an opportunity to write down or copy elsewhere.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Staff in both centres are using the same workplace platform and card details are entered straight into this system. In addition as soon as the details are submitted they are no longer viewable by anyone here, other than those in the finance team who have the necessary access (as previously stated).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When I joined up with Plusnet, my first question was:-
Is your call centre in the UK?
Knowing that BT own Plusnet, my second question was:-
Is there any likelihood that Support would be Outsorced to India?
(Foolishly, I didn't add "or any other country where labour is cheap").
Just how close are contacts between BT and South Africa?
I mean if Plusnet want to send a BT engineer out, will the travel claims be rather large?  Smiley
I think users should be allowed to opt for the support centre of their choice.
Where do you think they will choose?  Cheesy Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."