cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumour about Customer Support

glyndev
Grafter

Rumour about Customer Support

I have heard a rumour that Plusnet are planning to move Customer Support from Sheffield to the Madasafish CS centre in Durban.
If this is the case it would be a very negative step for Plusnet.
Has anyone else heard of this and is there any truth to the rumour
195 REPLIES 195
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Rumour about Customer Support

This is the first I have heard of it. I'm outraged. How dare Plusnet allow a rumour like this to start. If this isn't quashed immediately it will be rumoured that I will take my business elsewhere.
zubel
Community Veteran

I hardly think it's likely given the fact that PN have their Sheffield support centre as a USP.
That's the thing with rumours though - they can be about just about anything and people believe them.. and even if they don't believe them they distribute them.
As I understand it, MAAF support will stay in Durban, and the various vISP brands will stay in Sheffield.
B.
petejackson
Grafter

Hi. Let’s not jump to any hasty conclusions based on hearsay and rumour.  I can absolutely understand that this topic is going to arouse concerns.  There has been internal discussion about our call centres and I’ll get you more news by the end of the day.  You know we’re open about these things and we’d actually started a blog about this which we’d planned to post tomorrow - clearly someone’s jumped the gun.
geewizz
Grafter

I couldn't find the blog you started. Can you link to it, please?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The blog is in draft.  Not published yet Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
geewizz
Grafter

The cat is out of the bag. Publish it now.
Quote from: Peter
You know we’re open about these things

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

OK rumour, but if it's true - I will be VERY disappointed - Angry Angry
the PRIME reason I moved to PN was I was fed up with overseas call centres, and I was impressed with the Sheffield based team.
Maybe OK for large international companies - having three or four call centres around the clock to follow the sun, but NOT for a company that's customer base is largely UK based.
Loombucket
Grafter

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
If indeed it is true I'd be stunned as well as horrified.
This was discussed at some length at the Open Day when the point was made very firmly and clearly that PN's UK CSC was about the biggest selling point PN could possibly have.  To outsource it to SA, or indeed ANY other country would have a profound negative effect on both new business and retention of existing business.
Haven't PN realised by now that the quality of their CSC is what seperates them from every other ISP?
Roll_eyes
LiamM
Grafter

I personally think we need to calm down a bit and allow PlusNet to respond.  Let's not jump the gun or get too stressed before we have the full picture!
For those that attended the open day a few months ago the very subject came up and PlusNet stated that they had no plans whatsoever to 'close down' the CSC operations in Sheffield or 'shift' it to SA.  But I am sure there are some things that make sense to 'share the load' since SA and Sheffield are now all using Workplace and have more aligned working practices / departments / workstreams.
We also shouldn't forget that the MAAF support team in SA were already winning awards prior to the integration with PlusNet - so I think the support that MAAF customers already get from SA is pretty solid.
Pete has said we'll hear more by the end of today so lets just wait and see what they come up with.
Not applicable

If I remember correctly, as loombucket says, this was discussed at the open day. We were told then that PN had no plans to outsource CS but as our night is daytime in South Africa, the possibility of transferring calls overnight was being looked at. This seems to make sense when looking at the call statistics.
Personally, I can't see this as a problem but I would not like to see our CS ladies and gents discharged from their duties.
As well as having good service, the CS in Sheffield is the main reason for my continued loyalty to PN.
nadger
Rising Star

You've made some very good points, Liam.
Let's wait until Plusnet respond before someone has Sheffield up for sale on eBay  Crazy
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I remember this being a pretty heated topic at the open day, but knowing management speak - "no plans" really means "nothing we're prepared to disclose at present" - so I didn't take much notice of that then.
Also if it is true, when businesses try to save money they'll try to justify that it is any other reason than the real one (i.e. save money) for doing something. Usually it'll be 'quality of service' which will be touted .. I just hope it's not just a cost-cutting exercise (of course that'll never be admitted, even if it is) Sad
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: poppy
but as our night is daytime in South Africa, the possibility of transferring calls overnight was being looked at. This seems to make sense when looking at the call statistics.

I think someone needs a geography lesson :-))
South Africa is only an hour or so ahead of us -
http://www.worldtimezone.com/

I know of several people who have abandoned BT for phone / broadband etc - because they are so fed of their overseas call centres.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
.........  but as our night is daytime in South Africa, the possibility of transferring calls overnight was being looked at. This seems to make sense when looking at the call statistics. ......

Hmmmmmmm , Not on this planet it isn't! South Africa is on the same Time Zone as the UK, Ireland and Portugal so that doesn't make sense. India is five and a half hours ahead and the USA is between 5 and 10 hours behind. So if that was an imperative, Borneo, Thailand, Cambodia, ViettNam would be best placed for the early shift and Mexico, Venezuela and Guyana would be best for the twylight shift.