cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rules about writing e-mails

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Rules about writing e-mails

my SWMBO gets a lot of e-mails from one of her "friends" that until today normally had anything up to 100 adresses in it, plus the usueal you wil win the jackpot if you send this to another 10 idiots..
Got and e-mail tonight that was just the subject and a Sig.
below is a PDF of the contents  - wonders will never cease
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Rules about writing e-mails

This is the one I wish people would take notice of.
(7) Before you forward an Amber Alert, or a Virus Alert, or some of the other ones floating around nowadays, check them out before you forward them. Most of them are junk mail that's been circling the net for YEARS! Just about everything you receive in an email that is in question can be checked out at Snopes. Just go to http://www.snopes.com/

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

It's a pity that the PDF has all the hallmarks of a typical hoax (large fonts, liberal use of the colour red, sensationalist sentence construction etc), because the message is spot on, and I hope as many people as possible will read it. Thanks for posting, pierre.
Apropos - I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating in the current context - from the excellent Kitz site: http://www.kitz.co.uk/tech/emailrant.htm
@ Oldjim:  Absolutely, Jim!
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Not applicable

Yes, all the information is spot on and I really ought to pass it on to several of my friends who are absolutely notorious for forwarding on emails. It would probably be a waste of time though because they probably would find it too much bother.
If they get to my Inbox, they don't go anywhere except the trash folder.
Very occasionally I have passed one on but always removed the names and addresses and also I send it with an alias named 'forward' so I can easily delete it if necessary.

Laser
Grafter

Back in the days when the interweb was new, there was a document in common circulation about "Netiquette" - the socially acceptable behaviour when online. It was a beginner's guide on the style to write and reply to emails, not to shout or offend on newsgroups, how not to get scammed, what IMHO and RTFM and suchlike means, etc.
You rarely see it these days, and I've even seen people dismissing it as fascist or elitist. However, IMO, a large proportion of people using the net (and computers in general) today would do well to read and learn from that document...
Lurker
Grafter

link:rules contains a section on Netiquette - sadly it seems as few people read that section as do the other ones before posting.
Not applicable

In netiquette terms I think that this forum is good. Was doing quite a bit of searching yesterday and reading some replies in various forums.  Was astonished by the tone and content of them. One was replying to the OP using the address 'dude'. How could you value the advice given by someone who uses such terminology? I may be biased but I certainly couldn't.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Yes dude [runs&hides]  Wink
Trouble with the Forum Rules is that they are really in the wrong order, need to be sorted in order of importance / things that happen too frequently / most irritating things (that's not in any special order).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

especially when you see the dictionary definition
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm sure poppy is fastidious in the nicest sense of the word.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

No she is a Dudine. Grin Grin  But I have been known to tear off a strip when people start threads or postings on here with that awful word, wernt they ever heducated, apart from in the Arcades?
Not applicable

Well, there's a thing - maybe I am a 'dude' as I have to confess that I am a tad fastidious, though being female, definitely not a fop!
Roll_eyes
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just to throw a spanner, without meaning to troll  Smiley -- this from dictionary.OED.com:
ADDITIONS SERIES 1993

dude, n.
    Add:    [2.] b. More generally, any man who catches the attention in some way; a fellow or chap, a guy. Hence also approvingly, esp. (through Black English) applied to a member of one's own circle or group. Cf. CAT n.1 2 d. slang (orig. and chiefly U.S.).
1918 L. E. RUGGLES Navy Explained 139 In a gang of snipes there is generally one dude who is known as the ‘king snipe’. 1934 J. T. FARRELL Young Manhood xxiii. 382 He turned to see a dude, with baboon lips, twisting and bending forwards as he laughed. 1950 H. E. GOLDIN Dict. Amer. Underworld Lingo 156/1, I got a chill on (doubt the courage of) this dude we're working with. He might phony up on a drop. 1967 Trans-Action Apr. 6/1 My set of Negro street types contained a revolving and sometimes disappearing (when the ‘heat’, or police pressure, was on) population of about 45 members ranging in age from 18 to 25. These were the local ‘dudes’, their term meaning not the fancy city slickers but simply ‘the boys’, ‘fellas’, the ‘cool people’. 1969 H. R. BROWN in A. Dundes Mother Wit (1973) 354 There'd be sometimes 40 or 50 dudes standing around. 1978 M. PUZO Fools Die xv. 165 Like I'm one of those flying dudes, who leave their old ladies just to follow their nose. 1984 M. AMIS Money 112, I think my dog go bite one of them white dudes. 1985 G. NAYLOR Linden Hills 29 So Willie gained the respect of Wayne Avenue because he was a ‘deep’ dude. 1990 2000 AD 31 Mar. 2/2, I hope you continue the adventures of this weird dude with the trendy haircut after the current story.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DRAFT ADDITIONS DECEMBER 2008

dude, n.
  colloq. (orig. and chiefly U.S.). A person (of either sex). Freq. as a familiar form of address.
1974 C. EBLE UNC-CH Campus Slang (typescript) Mar. 2 Dude, any person, usually a male? 1981 D. JENKINS Baja Okla. 295 We're not talking about a lame chick and a gnarly guy. We're talking about a couple of far-out dudes. 1994 A. HECKERLING Clueless (Green Rev. pages) 4 Dionne. Dude! Cher. Girlfriend! They start to do a high five. 1999 Milwaukee Jrnl.-Sentinel (Nexis) 30 Apr., Lighten up, dudes! That's the message the mayor of Milwaukee is sending to suburban legislators. 2006 I. EDWARDS-JONES Fashion Babylon (2007) iii. 44 ‘Hey dudes,’ he says again, shooting Alexander and Lydia one after the other [with his index finger]. ‘How's it hanging?’
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thought that reinforces my last comment about the 'things' that use that phrase Wink
Not applicable

Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5213403/whats-your-worst-email-gaffe
has some amusing tales today about e-mail gaffes.
Take a look and be glad it's not you!