Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers good for 'long lines'

adagio
Grafter

Re: Routers good for 'long lines'

Quote from: bsanotrun

well it,s worth buying and trying a BT 2 Wire 2700HGV,  they go for very little money on ebay now that so many people are moving to FTTC.
I bought one for 99p+postage and they do work well on a long line/
Mike

I second that - my line was almost as long, the 2700HGV (Business Hub) gave me a boost of around 0.5 Mbps from 1.5 . You may have to hack it though. Instructions widely available via Google. Thankfully now have FTTC Smiley
maximod
Grafter

To get the best possible performance from a long line you need to fit the xte2005 faceplate on the bt linebox, and connect the router by a short lead from the faceplate to the router.
Any phone extensions need to go through the filtered part of the faceplate, on the back of the faceplate has filtered and unfiltered idc connections.
If you do that and use the 2700hgv you will probably not better the sync rate and stability to go with it.
Also if you are using a dect phone base unit, do not connect it near the face plate and router,fit in on the filtered extension in a different room, i learned this early on !
Paul.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

...and it may even pay to double filter a DECT base.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
maximod
Grafter

Quote from: 4C

In my experience no.
It is the dect rf transmission that seems to be the problem.
I did extensive testing on this, and my bt elements base had to be in excess of 10 metres away from the router/faceplate to not influence the bitloading of the router here.
The weaker the broadband signal is, the easier for low level background interference to cause bitloading problems.
Here i have replaced sm power supplies for analogue ones on various items, to reduce the noise sources that the mains wiring radiates as hash.
A few days ago the mains went off here for 1/2 hour in the afternoon, my normal 6db snr went up to 15db, and the 2700hgv router gives a estimated sync rate of the statistics, without re syncing, and it said 4096kb, so if i re trained it that is what it would have gone to !
This shows what extra background noise is present that gets injected in to the phone line normally here.
As i have a ups on the router, so i was able to see this when it happened.
On long lines with the weak broadband signal, any reduction of background noise pays dividends,
On shorter lines the same amount of background noise has less influence on bitloading, signal to noise ratio is what it's all about.
Paul.
edgeways
Grafter

Hello Alex7127,
I started a similar thread a long time ago.
My line is fairly long, on the coast and about 3.7 Km from the exchange and suffers from poor snr especially after dark. Used to get a lot of line drops resulting in frequent slow ip profiles
After trying several routers, about 18 moths ago  I found the best results from a Netgear DG834GT with the DG team software installed.
This proved to be the best at hanging on to the line during low snr periods.
Using this together with a double filter on the DECT phone and no extension wiring gives a stable connection currently at 6491k.
Rgds Mike (edgeways)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: maximod
Quote from: 4C

In my experience no.
It is the dect rf transmission that seems to be the problem.

Agreed, it's undoubtedly the RF - that's the only the real difference between a DECT and a standard phone.
I can only speak from practical experience, and assume that nevertheless the RF is having some effect. I do use an XTE2005 faceplate, and the extra filter on the DECT extension reduces my CRC errors and improves stability.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
maximod
Grafter

The xte2005 and it's clone, has transistor buffer circuitry, that is the main difference compared to the passive versions available.
But if there is a strong rf field near the face plate, the xte2005 gets affected by it more than the passive versions due to the active circuitry going non linear due to rf overload.
This was part of my extensive tests i did with the dect base several foot from it.
Paul.