cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers Resting Place

valart
Grafter

Routers Resting Place

I have a laptop and my router is connected to my new faceplate that the engineer installed a few months ago and my internet speed is much improved,but I just wondered because my router sits on a small stool about a foot off the ground would it increase my speed if I raised my router higher then it is at the moment.
3 REPLIES 3
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Routers Resting Place

The only way to be sure is to try it yourself!  Roll_eyes
Geoff,
York.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could also try changing the orientation, horizontally and vertically.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Most routers have slots in the back for wall mounting (2 screws in the wall with the heads a couple of mm 'proud' of the wall (and the right distance apart - that's the tricky bit)), mounting on a wall or similar vertical surface usually improves cooling which may not improve speed as such but can help with reliability (some routers run pretty hot), wall mounting does allow that extra bit of height though which can help wifi range and therefore speeds.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.