cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Routers, PS3 and the slowest connection in history!

munkimatt
Grafter

Routers, PS3 and the slowest connection in history!

(Apologies for the double post but no response in the gaming section)
I was wondering if anyone could help with my PS3 coonection issue, for which I'm suspecting my router is at fault.
Without going into the full specifics (original post here if you need to read http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81987.0.html)  I was having an issue where I had two Thompson routers from yourselves both of which went faulty, I then replaced it with a Belkin as part of fault elimination (which worked) however the new router refused to let my router log in to Xbox Live. With a combination of firmware updates and diasabling uPnP I eventually resolved the problem and have been enjoying a steadier and quicker connection than I had previously.
This weekend however I took the plunge and bought a PS3. After connecting it up I'm being greeted with all manner of network related problems. After trying everything (re-enabling uPnP, port forwarding, DMZ, everything!) I was still being plagued with errors relating to un-obtainable IP addresses and DNS addresses. It would connect to the online serice but I was getting the slowest speed I've had since dial-up, a 100mb update took 4 and a half hours to download! Out of curiosity I plugged back up the old faulty Thompson router supplied from Plusnet and...it connected first time...and then succumbed back to the slow speed/drop out issue that had previously led me to replacing the router.
Long and short, I was wondering if there's any chance you guys could help me out in regards to the router.I'm obviously not too interested in going out to buy another router as my package came with one. One the other hand I'm pretty much dubious of those Thompson routers because I had two with exactly the same fault.
Is their any other routers you could potentially supply?
5 REPLIES 5
Force9Original
Grafter

Re: Routers, PS3 and the slowest connection in history!

If you got a good SNR then the Trendchip based routers have a rep for higher sync speeds over Broadcomm's
Most Billion, Edimax's  & Zyxel  are Trendchip based.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Hey munkimatt,
The good news is that the PS3 can work well on PN and mine does...
the bad news is the Thomson router is very hit and miss regarding it I'm afraid Sad
The updates been slow could be due to the package you are on, during peak times the updates are throttled whereas game play is not.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
munkimatt
Grafter

@adiewoo
Great to know it would work, any idea on what Plusnet could do in regards to the router though? Two faulty Thompson models have been supplied to me, realistically I'm not sure a third is exactly what I want! Do Plusnet offer any other brand/model?
EDIT
Oh, and my package is the Premium one, what's that like for throttling? I was downloading between 4pm and midnight on Sunday.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: munkimatt
Oh, and my package is the Premium one, what's that like for throttling? I was downloading between 4pm and midnight on Sunday.

Take a look here for details about the throttling applied to the premium package at various times of day.
Depending on the implementation of your download, it could have been throttled at 256 kbps (*b=bits*), or even as low as 128 kbps (if it used peer-to-peer protocols). Those restrictions would load 100MB (*B=bytes*), at best, in either 3200 seconds (almost 1 hour) or 6400 seconds (1 hour 45). The speed may then be lower, depending on the rest of the route to the remote server.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
munkimatt
Grafter

Cheers for that, might explain the update but now it's refusing to sign into PSN full stop, or does and then drops out when I actually try to do something.