cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router

jaimiejennings

Router

Hey guys. 

I'm posting this here while I wait on the phone service. Which takes about 35 mins everytime I call. It's like going back 10 years none of my other service providers would have me waiting around this long. (if your looking on this forum to check if you want to join Plusnet. My advice would be stay where you are... Unless where you are has call wait times in excess of an hour.)

I complained about broadband speeds when I joined Plusnet as we can no longer watch any shows without buffering.  Or very low quality. 

I was given a link to test speeds. Did it. Can get 17mb with a cable. However when I sit in the same room as the router on WiFi I get 4mb. I used to be on talktalk and never has this issue. So I can only assume it's the slightly cheap looking router you get when you join plusnet. 

Has anyone had any success getting a router upgrade from them? If I have to buy my own one it will completely wipe out any savings we made moving to plusnet. It's true what they say. You get what you pay for.... 

5 REPLIES 5
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Router

Hey @jaimiejennings firstly a warm welcome to the community,

Sorry to see you're having wireless speed issues.

Have you tried logging into your router settings at http://192.168.1.254 and changing the wireless channel to see if that helps?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Rsebrie
Grafter

What router model do you have?

Mine has never given me one issue. I'm on just normal broadband and I'm getting speeds of around 19mbs..

Are we allowed to use another model router?

Have you ever tried to do so? Do you know how hard it is to configure on for your individual ISP?

Well unfortunately for me, I've got my mind set on one of those new ASUS RT‑AC5300 Wireless Routers...

Im worried though that after my purchase I wouldn't be able to use it.

I know it's around £300, but it's an investment in my own infrastructure and since leaving BT last month where my bill was around £120 a month to come to PlusNet where my bill is around £30 a month, I think the savings this year means I should be able to afford it.

The One that I want....The One that I want....

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Rsebrie wrote:

Are we allowed to use another model router?

Yes, see here.

Rsebrie
Grafter

Thank you. It's so nice when somebody like yourself comes along. Wink

PS what's lithium? Are you talking about an antipsychotic medication? Huh

Anyway, I think your cool. Kudos given Cool

kind regards

richard

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Glad to help and thanks for the Kudos Smiley

Lithium is the core software which this forum runs on and it seems to be everywhere now!