cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router web interfaces stop responding

timhm

Router web interfaces stop responding

Hi everyone,
I signed up recently and tried to use a d-link 2740B (http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYLelXSNvhLPG3yV3oV414h6ltbNlwaaRp7TouAmu5j3cf/...) router. I found that whenever I tried to set the ISP connection settings, the device would restart but the web interface would stop responding (even though I could still ping the device). Other settings (LAN, wireless, etc.) could be configured without any problems. The only thing that would make it respond again was a factory reset which obviously lost the connection settings and put me back to square oneTM. D-link support was prompt but pointless so after trying all of their suggestions (including downgrading the firmware) I decided to RMA the router as faulty. In the meantime, I borrowed an old router from a coworker, one of these (http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html, I'm not sure which one), which worked absolutely fine.
I had to give that back so I thought I'd try a cheaper option (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132428), but it has exactly the same problem as the d-link! I was sure the problem was with the d-link but now that it's happening with this one too I'm left wondering if it's something I'm [not] doing. Can anyone shed any light on my situation? Perhaps it's some 'feature' of newer routers that I'm not taking into account?
Thanks in advance,
Tim
11 REPLIES 11
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Router web interfaces stop responding

Phone 0114 296 5183 |  0845 140 0085, they are there 24/7 they will talk you through it
paulby
Grafter

If it's PlusNet you're with the support numbers are  0114 296 5198 or 0845 140 0200
The numbers pierre_pierre gave are for Free On Line (however I suspect you'll land up at the same place).
As for your problem - has it been resolved?
samuria
Grafter

There tech support suggests running this from a cmd prompt in admin mode
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "wireless network connection" mtu=1458 store=persistent
What browser are you using I have a problem with my router that somethings don't work in Firefox try using another browser.
Try making any other changes first then setup the isp and try a quick save. You could see if there is telnet access simply type telnet routers ip from the cmd prompt you may find you can set it up from there.
Other possibilities are the router is using java/javascript which your Av or firewall blocks try disabling av and firewall. When it restarts you will loose access to the web interface until the router has booted back up
paulby
Grafter

@samurai
There tech support suggests running this from a cmd prompt in admin mode
netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "wireless network connection" mtu=1458 store=persistent

That's how you set the MTU in Vista (and then only for the Wireless Adapter) - if it's an MTU issue and the OP is using Xp (don't think he mentioned which OS he was using) it's probably easier to use DrTCP to set an MTU of 1458.  However, I would suggest that he doesn't use the wireless interface to do any setting up.
@timhm
Are you trying to set the router up using the wireless connection or via an ethernet cable.  If you're using wireless, it's generally not a good idea to do configuration with wireless.  Give it a go using a wired connection.
If/when you are using a wired connection try as samurai suggests and disable the firewall and see if you can get it configured that way.  If it does work that way you'll need to make sure that your network is in the firewall's trusted zone when you re-enable it.  Also make sure that you're only ever running one software firewall (if you've got Zone Alarm, Norton or similar running then disable the Windows firewall).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from bottom of Plus net page before I log in  - no mention of free-on-line there
Customer Support: 0114 296 5199 |  0845 140 0030 | Broadband Faults Helpline: 0114 296 5183 |  0845 140 0085
paulby
Grafter

@pierre_pierre
A bit curious.
Have a look at the screen shot of www.plus.net below

However, if you phone the number you gave it says "Welcome to Free On Line" !
Anyway, p_p, it's a moot point - they both land up at the same place I imagine Smiley
timhm

Thanks for the responses everyone.
I'm using Windows XP and primarily IE (I have tried Firefox and Opera as well), I have tried connecting via ethernet, wireless and USB (where available). I've now borrowed an ancient SpeedTouch ADSL modem that I only asks for a username and password and that works fine. It's got to be something in common with the new d-link and generic routers.
paulby
Grafter

As you're able to connect with a modem I'd try one more thing before giving up!
Could you go to Internet Explorer then Tools>Internet Options and hit the "Connections" tab.  Make sure that "never dial a connection" is selected. With the router connected to the ethernet port and the Speedtouch USB modem disconnected - try the router again!
If you've been using a USB modem your settings will be adjusted for dial-up (USB modems use Windows dial-up networking to connect) and will probably have one of the other settings (always dial or dial when no connection) set - your PC will then try to establish a dial-up connection rather than use the LAN. 
May not be the problem but worth a shot!
timhm

I doubt that's the problem as USB was one of the last things I tried, but I will give it a shot when I get home tonight.
Thanks!
Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I have disabled all firewalls. I will try disabling AVG Free tonight.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: timhm
I found that whenever I tried to set the ISP connection settings, the device would restart but the web interface would stop responding (even though I could still ping the device).

How long did you wait before you tried to reconnect?
Did you shut down your browser, fired it up, cleared the cookies and tried again to connect to the router IP address?
I never had a D-Link, but from a couple of other makes that I have tried they tend to drop the line to your browser if you change LAN settings rather than WAN settings.  The solution is to wait for a minute or so and try to reconnect.
HTH.
--
Regards,
Mick
timhm

I usually waited for the restart progress bar to finish (this was about a minute for both routers) and let the browser try to reconnect by itself. Then, when that failed I did try restarting the browser and it just responded with 'Web site found. Waiting for reply...'.
I did notice with the d-link that when I tried the BT test settings (user: bt_test@startupdomain) the Internet light went red and the connection wouldn't work, but the web interface was still responding.