Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router settings for fibre connection

blackbat
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Router settings for fibre connection

Hi,
I migrated to Plusnet's FTTC service yesterday from my previous fibre provider. I spent some time trying to connect with my own router using my new Plusnet username and no password, as I thought that's what the documentation told me to do. I couldn't get a connection. In the end I added my Plusnet password into the router config and the new connection sprung into life. Did I mis-interpret the instructions which say:

2. Fibre broadband connection settings
You'll need the settings below if you're connecting to our fibre broadband service with your own fibre-compatible router. To connect with a fibre router we've supplied please follow our install guide.
Note: the majority of broadband routers won't work with fibre broadband. Most cable routers will work if they can use PPPoE and have an Ethernet WAN port, however we can't provide support if you have problems.
Connection Settings
Broadband Username/Login name username@plusdsl.net
Connection Type / Encapsulation PPPoE Always On

or should they say that a password is required, as they do for broadband connections?
I'm pretty pleased with how it's working, although Usenet isn't what it was - I used to get a solid 7-8 MB/s and now it's all over the place, varying from 1-5 most of the time. Traffic prioritisation?
Thanks,
Justin
1 REPLY 1
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router settings for fibre connection

yeah password is required.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you