cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router reset button

oakwoods
Dabbler

Router reset button

I have just replaced a BT Home Hub 5 modem/router with a better Asus router. I shall now sell the Home Hub but I forgot to remove the SSID and passwords. There is a reset button on the router for taking it back to factory settings. My question is - if I power up the Home Hub without connecting it to my network, will the reset button revert the router back to the original SSID and passwords that are printed on the router? I need to ensure whoever buys it can login to it.
I don't want to connect it to my computer now in case it messes with my network.
6 REPLIES 6
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Router reset button

The reset button will work whether on a network or not.
The principle thing is that it's held in until 'something' happens.
The lights will change, flash, or go out - something will happen - you'll know it when you see it.  Smiley
In my experience it always takes longer than expected.  Wink
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
oakwoods
Dabbler

Thanks for that but what I need to know is will the router revert back to the original SSID and password printed on the case.
AndyH
Grafter

You can probably check - power it up and see if it's back to the original SSID (is printed on the back?).
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

According to BT,
Resetting a BT Home Hub to factory settings takes the Hub right back to how it was when you first got it. It will overwrite any changes you might have made since.

Instructions
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
oakwoods
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies. I will do the reset but I can't see if it has reverted to the original SSID without connecting to the network, which is what I am trying to avoid. I shall reset and hope it reverts to what is printed.
TORPC
Grafter

when returning to factory settings, all settings / SSID's will have to be reset