cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router requires manual connection after a dropped connection?

deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router requires manual connection after a dropped connection?

Hi,
It seems last night my broadband went down and digging into the service status this might have been the planned maintenance overnight in Guildford (I'm in Woking). The plan stated it should be done by 6am but also advises people need to click 'Connect' on the router to get it back online.
Is this always the case for any dropped connection? !
I found it wasn't reconnecting even if I tried restarting the router, but click Connect and it connected.
I really need a router than can reconnect automatically, as I may be away from the house and need access to my home server remotely. If it just goes down and stays down, that's no use at all. Previous routers I've used have always continually tried to reconnect.
Another little observation, though maybe it's normal, is my NAS was set up to open ports for some services on the router using UPnP which worked, but if the router is restarted these port configurations are lost and the NAS doesn't reestablish them. It's not a major issue as I've configured the ports directly in the router instead. Was always wary of UPnP in the past but thought I'd try it out, but it doesn't do what I want.
FYI - I'm on FTTC with a Technicolor 582n router.
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Router requires manual connection after a dropped connection?

As far as reconnecting goes, it should do it automatically, but sometimes it doesn't, it depends a bit on how the PPP session was lost. Also if you had clicked Disconnect, it wouldn't subsequently reconnect automatically until after you'd clicked Connect and achieved a successful connection in my experience.
As far as the NAS - uPnP issues, you'll need someone more experienced in those areas and I've pointed a couple of guys who may be able to help this way.
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks.
Maybe then it was because last night I tried restarting the router and BT modem when it went down. I later re-checked the service status on my phone and realised there was a planned maintenance bit which might explain it.
If it normally would attempt to reconnect if I don't touch it then that's okay.
As for the UPnP, it's not really an issue. As I say just an observation really. I think I'll prefer to have the ports manually configured myself than let another device on my LAN configure them. Seems the latter situation doesn't survive a restart anyway.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I find if the fibre connection drops, for whatever reason (but for a longer period than a resync*),  often you can't get a ppp connection for 8 minutes or so. Always best to use "disconnect" in the tg582n before rebooting the fibre modem.
I've also found, if I leave it long enough the TG582n will eventually re-connect.
As for the NAS port forward issue. Does the NAS obtain it's IP address via DHCP?
With this router, port forward and UPnP work better (IMO) if the device is on a dynamic IP address but configured in the router network device setting to "always use the same IP address".
Correction(*)
I find a ppp connection will often survive a fibre vdsl resync, you still keep the same IP address and gateway etc. The ppp session only appears to drop after the fibre connection has been down for some time (guessing at one minute or more).
Anotherone
Champion

Ah-ha, restarting the BT modem, not a good idea unless absolutely necessary. If you have sync with the Cab always best to eliminate all other possibilities including maintenance and then only if everything else points to the possibility of the modem being an issue.
If you want to restart/reconfigure the router, it's often best to log in and drop the PPP session first (click Disconnect). I'd then unplug it from the modem and do as much of the reconfiguration as possible off-line, including any re-boots.
As npr has advised, best to Disconnect the PPP first (and power off the router) before doing anything with the modem. General consensus is it's best to turn off the modem for an hour and when you reconnect, wait for all the lights to stabilise before turning on the router and clicking Connect.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I use an Asus RT-N56U router in place of the 582n. On the rare occasion that my broadband goes down, either because of an internet problem or an area wide power cut which happened recently, the Asus automatically reconnects every time. Smiley
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: tijara33
I use an Asus RT-N56U router in place of the 582n.

Is that a fibre or ADSL connection?
AFAIK the issue here is with the ISP's fibre product and not the router.
Anotherone
Champion

As the RT-N56U is a router not a modem/router and tijara33 has said he's on Fibre in other posts, I guess it was a Fibre connection Wink
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Would TR-069 (Auto-Configure) slow down the reconnection process compared with manually entering and saving the connection username and password?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anotherone
Champion

I believe it does, I've disabled it on my account to avoid that and any consequences that could occur if I swap kit, but this is probably only for technically minded people, in case others are reading this thread.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

As for the UPnP, it's not really an issue. As I say just an observation really. I think I'll prefer to have the ports manually configured myself than let another device on my LAN configure them. Seems the latter situation doesn't survive a restart anyway.
FWIW one of my colleagues was struggling with port forwarding on the TG582n. He has 3 IP cameras and was trying to forward ports to make them accessible from the WAN. They are on ports 81,82,83 and each of the ports was forwarded to the correct (static) IP using the standard GUI game/application sharing. The camera on port 81 worked fine but the other 2 were not accessible from the WAN. We checked the port forwarding using both the GUI and the CLI and even the saved config in the USER.INI file and couldn't see any difference in the way the ports were forwarded. Anyway he discovered that the cameras had a UPnP option, enabled it and bingo!, everything worked. AFAIK it's survived a restart. Not sure if he has the cameras on 'fixed' DHCP assigned as npr suggests or true statics, I'll ask when I see him. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.