Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router reboot/resync and BT IP profile

Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router reboot/resync and BT IP profile

Hi
A question on the way the BT IP profile system works.
If I am synced at 5350 kbps, with a BT IP profile of  4500 kbps, and I carry out a router reboot/resync and obtain a sync of 4930 kbps, do I have another chance to try and resync at a higher level, to keep my 4500 kbps BT profile?
Or does that  lower resync, no matter how quickly I try for a higher resync, mean I will get a BT IP profile of 4000 kbps for the next 72 hours?
Derek
18 REPLIES 18
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Router reboot/resync and BT IP profile

From what I remember, you can be back up to speed before the lower profile has even gone through the system, but you won't avoid it. You might be able to keep the 4500 speed for a few hours, but the lower profile will still kick in. In fact, while you are connected at 4930 kbps, you'll be able to download at pretty much the same speed as you did when at 5350 kbps, until the lower profile is set.
MrT
Grafter

Based on what happened to me recently:
If your sync rate drops into a lower band then it takes 72 hours to recover provided you are able to resync within the higher band.
If your dsl connection drops and you immediately resync at the same or a higher rate then your profile is unaffected and the 72 hour clock is not restarted.
Hope that makes sense (and is accurate - someone will let us know if it's not!)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is also my experience
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I think it can set the sync at very low at 128K and the ip profile will rises very quickly within 4 hours to get the maximum sync speed, but if the sync speed drop by 1Meg, then the ip profile will drop instant and had to wait for 72 hours (3 days) before getting 1Meg back on. It very rare to drop from 8128K to 128K (I think only plusnet or BT can reset it at the lower sync before reach the maximum sync and ip profile rise quickly within 4 hours)
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies.
OK just as I thought - if I get a brief low sync I am going to get the lower IP profile, no matter what I do.  Sad
Pity BT can't use the 75 minute rule for providing a higher IP profile as well.  Undecided
Derek
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I agree. It pointless to have BT Bras IP Profile, why can't BT leave it uncapped and let the line get the maximum speed instant just like Sky LLU, TalkTalk LLU, C&W LLU without ip profile. It rather daft to have both BT & Plusnet both side to match ip profile (sometimes it doesn't work had to use manual setting by plusnet end)
Time to call up BT to scrap that!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Don't forget that bRAS quantization will soon be in place on ADSL2+ MSANs. Once this happens the profile will go up and down just as quickly.
Jojo Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Wow! How quickly it will be ? It all new MSANs on the ADSL2+ isn't it ? When it available ? Also, how can I tell if it does applied to my exchange MSANs on my ADSL2+ ?
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: goldenadsl
Wow! How quickly it will be ?

Instant Smiley
It all new MSANs on the ADSL2+ isn't it ?

I think BT will be upgrading them all as far as I know.
When it available ?

I've heard October so far, but it is being trailled on some 21CN ADSL2+ connections now.
Also, how can I tell if it does applied to my exchange MSANs on my ADSL2+ ?

If you do a speedtest at the BT Speedtester and the IP Profile it displays doesn't end in a 0 or 5 then you are most likely on the trial.
Alex Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Ok I am going to ran bt speedtester now to see if I am in the trial or not . Will post back.
Updated: done my bt speedtester, are I am on the new MSANs ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

No, still on the old DLM system. Your IP Profile would be 14837kbps (instead of 14000) if you were (88.2% of sync speed).
David
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Quote from: houlton23

If you do a speedtest and the IP Profile it displays doesn't end in a 0 or 5 then you are most likely on the trial.
Alex Smiley

From BT speedtester - DSL connection rate 5176 Kbps - IP profile for your line is 4566 Kbps. So I guess my exchange is enabled.  Smiley
However
Quote from: Joanne
Don't forget that bRAS quantization will soon be in place on ADSL2+ MSANs. Once this happens the profile will go up and down just as quickly.
Jojo Smiley

I am on ADSL2, will the new system apply to my connection, or do you have to be on ADSL2+ ?
Derek
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

I can't find the new chart table of sync rate with new ip profile rate for ADSL2+ MSANs on kitz site (as it was old DLM chart) Does plusnet have any of it ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
At the moment 40% of MSANs are enabled. We've been informed that they should all be enabled by October.
@Derek your router will have chosen ADSL2 as the better option over ADSL2+ but you are currently on ADSL2+. Depending on how your line performs your router can switch between ADSL2 and 2+ so yes, yours will also be enabled by October.
Jojo Smiley