cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router re-syncing at same time of day

clanla
Grafter

Re: Router re-syncing at same time of day

Interestingly the other disconnection I have recorded that also does not appear on your log was at 20:00 on the 24th when my target SNRM was reset to 6dB as a result of yourselves requesting a reset.  This one was certainly initiated by the exchange.  Chart attached.
I have not got another router to try but I cannot believe anything that in the router could case it to resync every 2 days at 05:30 in such a way that it does not appear in your logs.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: clanla
I cannot believe anything that in the router could case it to resync every 2 days at 05:30 in such a way that it does not appear in your logs.

Some sort of 'lease time' setting, set to 48 hours, could perhaps cause a resync every 2 days. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's a good suggestion from Reed and worth looking into.
Quote from: chrispurvey
hmmm.... do you have another router that you can try and get the logs from that one? Its quite strange that it does not pick one of them up, in some instances it can be when the connections drops for just a few seconds and is then restored again it is not always picked up, but this is pretty rare.

The connections aren't dropping for a few seconds, a resync is occuring!  What's more, the Target Noise Margin was reset on the 24th, (also clearly shown on the Routerstats graph reply #15), mentioned twice (replies #9 &  #13) before your above suggestion never mind the other resyncs where the Target Noise Margin has been pushed up, so there is clearly something wrong with the Radius Logs.
I cannot see any useful engineering reason for your suggestion above in relation to the problem with the Radius Logs which should be investigated by Plusnet.
Colin, I suspect that despite your quick reaction, your profile will have dropped. There was a time a couple or so years back when such speedy action would avoid the profile drop, but not since DLM was changed around 18 odd months ago, blip logic appears to have been removed.
clanla
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
That's a good suggestion from Reed and worth looking into.

I have looked right through the router settings (a Netgear DG834G v4) and can't find anything there that might cause a scheduled re-sync.  In addition, although I said it is every two days it has actually happened on 17, 22, 25, 27, 29 and 31 so not exactly every two days (though it has been every two days since 25th).
Colin, I suspect that despite your quick reaction, your profile will have dropped. There was a time a couple or so years back when such speedy action would avoid the profile drop, but not since DLM was changed around 18 odd months ago, blip logic appears to have been removed.

The connection was down at 1312 for 1.5 hours.  According to the tables I have seen that should have put the profile down to 1000 but it stayed at 1250. Smiley
Out of interest, in the Radius log there are two items marked as Administrative Reset.  What does that mean?  They did not seem to have any effect at this end.
Anotherone
Champion

Well I think Plusnet can explain that.
Apart from your noise issues, I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't an issue with the LIne Card (or even the DSLAM). We'll have to see how this moves forward, keep a careful record of any drops and the Gateways and IP a/d's that you are on before and after any resyncs, just in case it shows some sort of pattern.
clanla
Grafter

Well there have been no more unexplained re-syncs since 31st Oct (5 days) so maybe there will be no more.
A thought has occurred to me, when Chris Pettitt reset my target SNMR on 24th Oct did this also result in me being put back into training mode again?  If so then could the resyncs have been as a result of being in training mode?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes and yes indeed, quite possible. But I also have had another thought, do you have a fault ticket open at the moment? If so, any useful information on it?
clanla
Grafter

Anotherone, Do you mean that resetting the target will certainly have put me into training mode, or just that it may have?
I have no open tickets at the moment.
Anotherone
Champion

It isn't really an SNR reset, it is a line reset! It's a misuse of the term, but has come about presumably because that's what is more easily understood by non-technical end users.
A line reset puts everything back to default and the line into training mode, so the answer was yes to your first question. It was also yes to your second question, as it is a possibility DLM did that, but by no means certain, there is no real way of finding out. The algorithms used by DLM are extremely complex and one can't predict certain aspects of DLM's behaviour.
Glad you haven't got a ticket open, less questions to ask!