Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem?

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Router problem?

Looks like time to power down everything around the modem/router and see what happens, especially as the neighbours signals suddenly popped up as the laptop was moved away from the modem/router Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Twinsister

I can get three lights on Ext except one to computer , even though i  type the password in to connect it will not accept it.                                                          My laptop is sitting on a desk facing a window, the only other thing in the room is a printer and a chair. Through the wall is the bathroom, then an airing cupboard, would the tank interfere? then next is the kitchen.                                                                                How many bars on my signal should i expect if i move laptop to living room? i get the full 5 next to the router and a shaky one in the living room and kitchen.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Adam, i returned one of the routers, i only had a new one because one of your colleagues was as baffled as the rest of us, when the first new one didn't seem to work properly i returned it and i used my old one with no difference between it and second new one, i know plain as mud!       
PeeGee
Pro

I've looked at the Netgear leaflet, though I must say it's not overly informative Shocked
Quote from: Twinsister
I can get three lights on Ext except one to computer , even though i  type the password in to connect it will not accept it.

When you try to connect the laptop, do you type the password (which I assume is the same key used to connect to the modem/router) and then press the push 'N' connect button on the extender?
If you can get a connection to the extender, then you may be able to find place that will get a good signal between the extender and both the laptop and modem/router.
Is there much electrical equipment around the modem/router? If it is possible and not inconvenient, can you place the laptop where you get about three bars and turn items off at the socket to see if the signal improves (preferably, check them all)?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Bright
Grafter

The airing cupboard presumably has a round copper hot water cylinder in it... if you put the laptop immediately the other side of the tank (ie in the shadow of the tank, from the router's perspective) then that definitely won't help. But I assume there is plenty of brick wall between the bathroom and kitchen which isn't blocked by airing cupboard/hot water tank.
Are the walls brick? Fairly thick?
Is the router in the room with the laptop and desk? (just trying to get a feeling for the geography of the building). If so, then there are 2 walls between the router and kitchen where you get just 1 bar? Or 3 walls?
Twinsister

Yes i type the password in but there is no N connect button on the extender only on/of f and WPS. There is no electrical equipment in the room only a printer which is unplugged.                          There are two approx. 4inch thick walls between computer/bedroom and Kitchen. I have come up with a bit of a solution when i want to use laptop in living room and kitchen, i have placed the router outside the computer/bedroom , albeit on the floor , that gives me a bit better signal. Sadly the hall is a long corridor shape so this isn't ideal
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: Twinsister
Yes i type the password in but there is no N connect button on the extender only on/of f and WPS.

Right, I was using the terminology in the Netgear leaflet - if I had used the "correct" term, it would have been "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" or WPS Shocked
Bright
Grafter

@ Twinsister
After all this to-ing and fro-ing it sounds to me like you've just got the same problem as many others - the wifi on the Plusnet router isn't very good and it's not able to get through your two brick walls (I had the same problem, and lots of other posts on this forum cover the same issues). I think you probably have three options:
1. Put up with it and move the router into the hallway if you want to use wifi from the other end of the house.
2. Try to get the Netgear extender working. That would need to be placed somewhere it can get a strong enough signal from the router to be able to relay it to the living room. So probably in the hall is the only viable option (since putting it in the bathroom wouldn't be ideal!).
3. Give up on the Plusnet router (it was free, after all) and buy a better router which has excellent wifi performance. This is a more expensive option (but it solved my problems with wifi - I also have a long thin house with thick walls). The top-of-the-range Asus routers seem to have about the best wifi performance at the moment, but you're looking at between £70 to £120 for one of those (depending which model you need).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Twinsister,
Have you had any luck with the extender, it seems strange that both routers have had the same issue at a distance of on 6ft?