cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem?

Twinsister

Router problem?

Two new Plusnet routers later and still cannot pick up a good signal if i move away from said router, tried all 13 channels, bought a Netgear extender which wont connect to the internet, so now in despair. Could anyone offer any ideas to a Grandmother who doesn't really understand technical stuff please?
22 REPLIES 22
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Router problem?

It would be very rare to have two faulty routers.
How far are you from the wireless device and router? Is the wireless device b/g/n?
Twinsister

Hi, AndyH, I think one router might have been faulty, but had the same problem if i moved 6ft away from router i lose or get a poor signal and sorry didn't understand the abbreviation. 
AndyH
Grafter

There's something not quite right - is it a PC or laptop you're trying to use? Can you describe the PC/laptop (model etc)?
Twinsister

I have a High Grade laptop and a Nexus 7 tablet and both get a poor signal when i move from the router, also a Netgear WN3000RP Extender which i think doesn't seem to connect to either of them, it is plugged in midway between router and the 2 other rooms i like to use.
AndyH
Grafter

Could you try running this program on your laptop http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/#downloadInssider ?
It will scan all the local wireless networks, tell you which channels they are on and the signal strength.
Twinsister

Thanks for reply, have downloaded said program, it is only showing my channel, should it show others or do i have to click on something first?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Either you live miles from your nearest neighbour or you live in a Faraday Cage  Shocked
Seriously, you would normally expect at least a few other channels if you have houses nearby. It is possible your walls have some material with a foil liner, which could be a problem. However, though I get at least a dozen signals with InSSIDer on my laptop, a similar program on my mobile phone only shows my signal.
I take it that the extender doesn't show on InSSIDer either? My extender appears fine on my laptop with InSSIDer, as does my neighbours system - all on the same channel.
It may sound a strange idea, but have you checked the situation with the extender and laptop in the room with the modem/router? You should be able to connect to either the modem/router or the extender if everything is set up correctly. You should see both modem/router and extender with InSSIDer then. I don't know the WN3000RP but the extender usually has to be set to the channel used by the modem/router (some will allow a different channel to be used for clients to connect, though). Don't forget that the extender has to have  WPA/WPA2 set up in the same way as the laptop to connect to the modem/router, but may allow a different security setup and/or different SSID for your laptop to connect to it.
Finally, have you used InSSIDer with the laptop out-doors (you could put it outside for a few minutes, then have a look at it if it's cold Smiley )? That may help with fault finding.
Edit:  Forgot to say: you did click on "start" at the top right of the window? (I forgot that just now when checking things Embarrassed )
Also, are there any other wireless devices - cordless/DECT phone, doorbell, video sender ... ?
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Twinsister

Hi, this might take a  while  Embarrassed Walls have no foil liners,extender shows on inSSIDer,Exteder tried in same room as router(no change) took laptop outside all neighbors appeared (on laptop that is, not looking to see what i  was doing  ;D) inSSIDer shows same channel on laptop and extender,Which i changed to 5 as neighbors all seem to be on 11. Mac address is different,does that matter? WPA/WPAC the same, IP address not the same,cordless phones plus wireless headphones
Don't know how to change anything on extender as won't connect to laptop. Quite worn out now, thank you for sharing your knowledge,
Bright
Grafter

The fact that you get a poor/no signal 6ft away from the router doesn't sound good. I assume that's 6ft of air rather than 6ft of concrete (?), so there must either be a fault with the 2nd router as well (unlikely) or you have a major source of interference.
I'd be inclined to unplug the wireless extender for now, just to avoid that being an extra complication, then put the laptop as close to the router as you can manage and start InSSIDer. Do you just see the Plusnet router and no other wifi networks? (you indicated that was the case previously). Can you check that you don't have any filters active at the top of the InSSIDerwindow, which might filter out other networks (I assume not, as they appear when you go outside to entertain the neighbours!). What does it say in the RSSI, Channel and Max rate columns against the Plusnet router? RSSI may vary - what is the range of values if so?
If you now move the laptop away to the other side of the same room, what does the RSSI column say? The idea is to keep in line of sight of the router, with no obstructions in between, and to move a reasonable distance away. How far apart are they at this point? If possible, can you move further away but still keeping in line of sight until the RSSI value gets down to about -100? How far away are you now?
Keeping the laptop in roughly the same place, does it make any difference if you stand the router up on end so the top of the case is pointing towards the laptop? (try not to stand between them!)
You mentioned something about cordless phones and wireless headphones... what did you mean? I assume these don't show up on the InSSIDDer list?? It would be good if you can try and place the base station and handsets of any cordless phone as far away from the router as possible.
Sorry this is all a bit of a hassle, but it would be useful, I think, to try and establish how quickly your router's wifi signal is dropping off as you move away from the router. Unfortunately I don't think InSIDDer also shows the signal-to-noise ratio (I'm using a Mac so I don't use InSIDDer). Maybe someone else on the forum might be able to suggest a way of measuring that...?
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: Twinsister
Don't know how to change anything on extender as won't connect to laptop.

Your next step is to try @Bright's suggestions to get the basics sorted.
Don't worry about the MAC addresses - they identify the device and it's manufacturer. The reason for asking about wireless devices is because they sometimes interfere with WiFi  Sad
I've had a quick look at the info for the extender and it appears to be "fully automated" and 11n standard. I assume you have used the modem/router WPS button to get the extender to configure the WPA2 security - does it appear on the list of "attached devices" in the router information pages (the same interface as the change of channel on the modem/router)? You will also, it appears, need to use the WPS button on the extender to get your laptop and tablet to connect to it via wireless.
Are you able to connect the laptop to the extender via an ethernet cable. That will give you a way to check the modem/router and extender are connecting before trouble shooting the laptop/tablet to extender wireless connection.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Twinsister

Removed extender and can now only see plusnet router on inssider, no active filters,RSSI 48, max rate 54, laptop moved away but in sight of router and RSSI 50, at the same time all the neighbors popped up again Smiley only 2 and 1/2 feet before i lost sight of router, 12 ft away RSSI was 72, and that was at the other end of my Bungalow so couldn't go any further away, Cordless phones not near router . Standing router up made no difference,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Phew, i hope that answered all the questions,  Methinks it's a mystery i will have to live with.  Sad
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Sorry to hear about your difficulties using wireless.
We'd like to get that router (or routers assuming you have both) so we can do some tests on it.
We can arrange for them to be picked up if that's possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: Twinsister
Phew, i hope that answered all the questions,  Methinks it's a mystery i will have to live with.  Sad

That's not permitted here Shocked  You have probably done this before, but:
Can you power up the extender in the room with the modem/router (more than 4ft away will do). Does the indicator for the modem/router to extender connection light up? If not, can you try setting it up again as per the installation guide - if it needs WPS to set it up, then someone else will have to provide that information for the modem/router.
Once the extender is connected to the router, you need to move it to the preferred position, turn it on and check the indicator lights up again (I'm assuming the set-up will not be lost). If that is the case, take your laptop out of range of the modem/router and then get it ready to connect to the extender (assuming it can see it), go to the extender and press the push 'N' connect button, then select connect on the laptop.
Let us know how you get on Smiley
Bright
Grafter

Well it's an interesting puzzle!  Roll_eyes
If the RSSI value was -72dBm at the other end of your bungalow, that's a good strong wifi signal, so it should be possible to connect to the router with that value and get decent throughput to your laptop and tablet. Unless... there is also something interfering with the wifi signal. But as you've tried all 13 channels without success, it's unusual to find high levels of interference across all 13 channels. The router isn't sitting on top of a LCD TV or computer monitor or something like that, is it?