cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problem?

ossettbob
Grafter

Router problem?

I have just had Openreach engineer here after a 4 day wait. When he left my broadband was working. However, after about 30 minutes it failed again.
It has now come back on. Does this sound like a router problem. If it is, am I best to ask for replacement from Plusnet or buying a better quality one ?Huh
18 REPLIES 18
harps1h
Grafter

Re: Router problem?

actually i ama having problems with mine as the wireless is extremely poor and in my living room across the hall you can barely pick up a signal
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ossettbob: Given you've been connected for the past 15 hours I don't think it's anything to worry about - things do look a lot more stable and the speed should sort itself out over the next few days. Unless it does start to drop again I wouldn't worry about it - glad things are getting better, and hope this is now fixed for you.
@harps1h: You could try something like this perhaps? http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/
If you put one of those behind the router it should help focus the signal across the hallway, only a suggestion though.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

And if it doesn't boost your wireless signal, you can always wear it as a hat...
Cool
ArthurDent
Grafter

Is it a TG582N? If so, take a peek at threads on the plusnet forum at thinkbroadband.com. You'll see that plenty of us are whingeing about that substandard router. Not much consolation to you, I know.  Sad
harps1h
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
@harps1h: You could try something like this perhaps? http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-WIFI-Antenna-Reception-Booster/
If you put one of those behind the router it should help focus the signal across the hallway, only a suggestion though.

Is that honestly the best PN towers can offer as technical advice? Get a grip guys! If I did that the wife would be ringing the community psychiatric nurse!!! As a contracted user now I expect better than that, in fact this was one of the reasons I resisted contracts. what about an upgraded router?
Bright
Grafter

@harps1h
I think it's either the Blue Peter wifi booster or buying your own router, as many of us have ended up doing  Undecided
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@@harps1h
Have you changed your Wireless Channel? I appreciate that you might have tried this, but it's definitely worth trying if you haven't already.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

@harps1h

Many of us feel the pain that is the TECHnicolor router.
It's not the best by any stretch of the imagination... however, you could try using a few tools to look at channels signal strength and quality with Inssider http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Or you could try wifi Analyser https://play.google.com/store/search?q=wifi+analyser for Android.
Maybe try using an old g/n router and put dd-wrt on it http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index this will allow many options, for example i use an old cable router Model D-Link DIR-615 D4 ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/dlink-dir615d/ to extend my wifi network it gives me upto 72MB ie good enough!
Or just go buy something that will do the job.
Good luck Wink
Finguz
Grafter

How about one of these, or similiar?
Or if you have an old router laying around, you could use that.
Edit: Beat me to it ^
ArthurDent
Grafter

Have any of you guys tried substituting with a TP-Link TD-W8968 router and, if so, would you care to comment please?
This would be for non-fibre, but I'd envisage fibre somewhat later.
As a bear of very small brain I'm apprehensive about delving into the entrails to sort out technical aspects of set up.
Thanks.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: ArthurDent
Have any of you guys tried substituting with a TP-Link TD-W8968 router and, if so, would you care to comment please?
This would be for non-fibre, but I'd envisage fibre somewhat later.

You could try adding something akin to a TP-Link WR1043ND Gigabit 11n300 router  Wink Turn off your modem/router wireless, connect the WR's WAN port to your modem/router, and away you go (though you may wish to configure things as you want them). If your modem/router will work in "bridge mode", then you can configure the WR so that it is "plug-in" ready for fibre  Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks, PeeGee.
So far only one wifi dropout on the router supplied by pn as a replacement, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this one at present.
Perhaps the original one was a Friday afternoon job, but it irritates me that pn haven't properly addressed  all the posts about this clearly unsatisfactory piece of kit.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

but it irritates me that pn haven't properly addressed  all the posts about this clearly unsatisfactory piece of kit.

As you might guess it's a lot easier and more helpful for us to respond to constructive criticism about that router. Personally I've used one for a number of years and I've not had a single complaint, it does what I need it to. However the requirements of others will vary so we'd love to know more about specifically why that router might not be meeting peoples needs.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
we'd love to know more about specifically why that router might not be meeting peoples needs.

Come on Adam, there's no shortage of customers complaining about its poor wifi performance (in the real world, rather than the artificial environment of someone's basement where it's shielded from other nearby wifi networks)  Shocked