cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router port control

luvyapnut

Router port control

I will be using a Belkin F5D7633-4 router with my Plusnet account, but have access to other routers if necessary to achieve the following.
I do computer repair work from home and have my computer on one port, a spare unconnected network cable (for work purposes) on another and flatmate on a third.
What I would like to do and want to know if it is possible, control, from my computer, internet access of computers that are connected to the other network cables/ports? The main reason for wanting to do this is that I pay the broadband bill. The flatmate constantly abuses the privilege of "free" internet access I have given him. I want to restrict/limit his access and would like for it to be unknown to him that I am doing it.
Is this possible? It wasn't, as far as I know with BT.
4 REPLIES 4
luvyapnut

Re: Router port control

I also have a 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 router, which after reading the manual, Roll_eyes I have found is capable of what I am wanting to do.  Grin
I have also found through searching the forums, that it is compatible with Plusnet.
luvyapnut

3com router not working at all. Not just with Plusnet, it is broken.  Cry
So, does anyone know of any 3rd party software that will work behind the router, in this case being a Belkin F5D7633-4? Or of any router that will allow me to, from my computer, control/restrict/limit the ports individually as far as internet URL/site accessibility?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Sorry for the delayed response from ourselves.
What you're trying to achieve isn't really done with software or dependent on your ISP making any changes it's basically something called QOS which is something some routers are able to do and some aren't.
I'm not really able to recommend any specific router to you for that but I do not that a lot of the Netgear models do have such features.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
luvyapnut

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Hi there,
Sorry for the delayed response from ourselves.
What you're trying to achieve isn't really done with software or dependent on your ISP making any changes it's basically something called QOS which is something some routers are able to do and some aren't.
I'm not really able to recommend any specific router to you for that but I do not that a lot of the Netgear models do have such features.

Thanks for the timely reply. It wasn't delayed in my opinion.
I have now gotten a Philips router, model # SNA6500 that does what I require.
It has URL access limiting/blocking for specific IP's/computers and the time frames I would like for this to be implemented on my home network.
I tested it on my own PC's IP and it does work.  Cool
Maybe this router can be added to the list of compatible routers on The Plusnet main site.
Many thanks again.