cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not seeing modem

simongoodway

Router not seeing modem

On Friday my fibre broadband dropped and the DSL light on the modem went out. I called support and they said it sounded like a fault on the modem. Yesterday I remembered I had a spare modem, so I switched them over and now the DSL light comes on solid, so it looks like they were right - but now my router isn't seeing the modem.
If I telnet in and try
=>dns server route list
I get nothing listed. Do I need to do something to make the router see the modem?
15 REPLIES 15
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Router not seeing modem

It is possible that whatever caused the BT OR modem to die has also damaged the WAN port of the router. I take it you've tried completely powering off the router? As I had a similar issue when relocating the router at the end of a 15m Ethernet cable.
simongoodway

I have powered off the router, it made no difference. I suspect you may be right that the WAN port is damaged.  Cry
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I'm assuming you're using the router we sent you?
Might be worth trying a factory reset.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
simongoodway

Yes, I am. I've tried a factory reset, it didn't help.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'll happily go away if it seems I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs but you are plugging into the correct port at both the router and the modem aren't you?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
simongoodway

Yes, it's definitely all connected correctly.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

And the spare router has the fibre modification done? If it's an ADSL version it won't work...
leader
Grafter

It is in Lan1* on the Openreach modem * to Wan {or port 4 on some older thomson's with bridge mode}
*Lan2 on the openreach modem will only work if its an unlocked unit.
Thx
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you tried a direct connection to the BT modem.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
It will prove if the spare modem is connected and working.
simongoodway

Quote from: Jaggies
And the spare router has the fibre modification done? If it's an ADSL version it won't work...

Ah, I'm not sure about that. Any way I can find out?
Quote from: Webif
It is in Lan1* on the Openreach modem * to Wan

It is.
Quote from: npr
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...

I hadn't. I'll give it a try.
I've now tried replacing the router as well as the modem (with a TP-Link TL WR841N, which Google tells me should be compatible) but when it tries to connect, it gets a "Timeout waiting for PADO packet". I *think* I've configured it correctly. Don't know if that information is helpful?
simongoodway

Quote from: npr
It will prove if the spare modem is connected and working.

Error 651: The modem (or other connecting device) has reported an error.
I'm guessing this means my spare modem hasn't had the conversion for fibre as Jaggies suggested?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not quite, assuming it's am Openreach modem then it's a VDSL(2) (FTTC) modem.
Jaggies was referring to your spare router - if it was another TG582n then it could have firmware that makes it unsuitable for FTTC
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
simongoodway

Ah, right - I was confused because I hadn't tried a different router at that point. The one I've tried since is suitable for fibre, though as a direct connection to the modem failed I guess that's not the issue.
dick:quote
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Sorry, I thought you had replaced the router, not the modem, in which case ignore my previous post.
If you Google "pppoe error 651" there are 56000 results, so it appears to be a common issue. Looks like the raspppoe.sys file is the culprit. How you fix it is dependent on the OS version you are running.