Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router losing power

Stranger
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router losing power

My router keeps losing power .......... I've checked the socket with another electrical item and there's nothing wrong so must be something to do with the router.  When it's happened I've turned the router off, turned the socket off then turned the socket back on and then the router and nothing.  I've tried doing the same and waiting 10, 20, 30 seconds before powering back up but still nothing.
Any ideas of things to try or advice on how to proceed to get a replacement router please?
9 REPLIES 9
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: Router losing power

Sounds like either the router or the PSU is on it's way out, if it's a plusnet supplied one it might be worth raising a ticket with them to see if they'll replace it.

Plusnet do allow you to use your own router, so if you don't mind spending money you might want to take a look around and see whats available as you can often pickup something a lot better specced than plusnet's standard routers.
MrT
Grafter

Does the PSU seem hotter than usual. If it does then it could be a thermal cutout switching the output off.
Do you have access to a voltmeter that you can measure the output voltage from the PSU with?
Stranger
Rising Star

Thanks guys, the router itself seems very warm but I don't know what it should be like when it's working normally.
I'll go and raise a ticket with them ............... as soon as I find out how  Grin
Stranger
Rising Star

ticket raised, thanks again folks
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just responded to Ticket: 88142203 for you.
Stranger
Rising Star

Thankyou Chris, much appreciated  Smiley
Stranger
Rising Star

Great service yet again!  New router arrived today all set up and working fine, I'll keep an eye on it for power loss.  Thanks Chris et al.
I have the old one and power supply boxed up and ready to return, do you want me to include everything like adsl filters, ethernet cable etc?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

No problem, glad you received it!
You can keep the microfilters and Ethernet Cables, they can be kept as spares just in case Smiley
Stranger
Rising Star

Rightyho, tomorrow I'll drop the returns envelope at the PO with the router and psu packed in the box.
Smiley