Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router issues when using pn and own router together

FIXED
morlandshah

Router issues when using pn and own router together

Hello,

I have the plusnet 2704N router.

I want to use my own router (Linksys) because it offers significantly better customization etc.

I connected an RJ45 cable from the pn router into the WAN port of my Linksys. I then changed the Linksys dhcp to use 172.16.0.0 as the gateway and allocate 172.16.0.1 for the lan side IPs.

The PN router IP is 192.168.1.254. 

I kept the ip address range different to avoid ip conflicts as there is no option to swith of dhcp on the pn router.

The Linksys router internet settings are set to "dhcp" and automatically uses an IP address in the 192.168 range i.e. in this case it came to 192.168.1.11

So essentially its ISP --> PN router --> Own router --> LAN.

The problem is that the internet on the lan side is running really slow. It speeds up again if I just use the PN router. Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Router issues when using pn and own router together

So you have two dchp servers running. What you need to do is set the Linksys up as a simple Access Point. This involves switching dchp off on the Linksys and just using the 2704 for this function. Have a look at the Linksys manual and look for access point mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

morlandshah

Thanks. I suppose using the Linksys as an access point would work but then I would potentially lose some functionality like being able to assign static IP addresses which the PN router does not do :/. Given that I am on saperate address ranges i.e. the 192 and 172 should the two dcph servers not just be able to run without issue?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

Are you sure you can't disable DHCP on the 2704n? Have you checked the settings available at http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

See here on how to get to the page where you can disable the 2704n dhcp server.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Fix-ip-addresses-for-units-on-my-LAN/m-p/1546742#M6793

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

morlandshah

Thank you. That makes my life a lot easier... Smiley

I wonder why they hid that "expert" page (Or at least removed a direct link to it from the router home page). Seems to have some very obviously useful features....