cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router interface connect/disconnect and DLM impact?

Cathotel
Grafter

Router interface connect/disconnect and DLM impact?

Hi,
For the past 6 - 8 weeks my intermittent line issues I had, have returned with SNR suddenly going from 9dB to 3 and then way back to 15 and now approx 12. 
I want to try a new Router as the PN supplied TG585v7 only stores approx 24 hrs in the system log.  That's Ok for now, as my line is droppping at least 1 - 2 times a day with the consequential impact on SNR/line speeds/profile etc.
Can someone please confirm/deny that if I use the router interface and do a 'Disconnect' prior to a hard/soft re-boot that this will not be 'seen' as a 'drop' by the DLM kit?  I read a post reply by JoJo that seemed to suggest this was the case?
From past experience every time I try to compare kit everything goes south and my line never stays up for the 3 days to start it's climb up the speed ladder  Smiley
The SNR had to be reset a few months ago to cure the speed after the line had appeared to stabilize.
Pete
3 REPLIES 3
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Router interface connect/disconnect and DLM impact?

Hi Pete,
If you use the router interface to disconnect before you power off the router then the DLM will not see this as a drop and therefore should have no impact on any changes to your line speed.
Jojo Smiley
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Many thanks for the confirmation about the interface/DLM
In the past my diagnostic attempts have had more impact on speed than the irritating line drops !
The router is still in the master socket with no extension wiring but the intermittentancy re-started when some culvert repair work was undertaken between here and the exchange.  It was also intermittent during the very hot weather earlier in the year.
My telecoms and electronics background keeps whispering in my ear - duff joint somewhere.  When my service was transfrerred from my old house to an unsued second line in the cuyrrent location the BT line tester had 2 red crosses out of the dozen or so tests, but the BT guy didn't think that would be an issue.  BUT, on his own admission he only dealt with voice.
I will doubtless end up raising a ticket after checking the PN TG585 isn't the culprit Smiley
Anyway, many thanks for your confirmation..
Cheers,
Pete
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Cathotel,
I definitely this you should raise a fault, are you in the test socket behind the master socket faceplate? We will still investigate the fault before you have tried an alternate router but would need a second one trying before we could raise it to our suppliers if that was the case.
Jojo Smiley