cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router hacks

donne
Grafter

Router hacks

A friend of mine has told me that his ISP (not Plusnet) has informed him that his router has been hacked and his emails probably intercepted.  I found that very alarming and wondered just how secure the routers supplied by Plusnet are.  I have the Technicolor TG582n and since it came with an individual admin password which seemed quite strong I would have thought it was fairly safe, unlike the previous Thomson router I had.  However, I understand that the Technicolor routers are remotely configurable which would seem to indicate a potential vulnerability.  Just how many router hacks occur and how do you tell if you have been hacked?
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router hacks

Hi there,
I understand that the Technicolor routers are remotely configurable

They are, however due to the way we link these to accounts you'd actually need the serial number for the device itself. That as you may know is only stored on the device and on our automated router set up platform which deals which is responsible for remote configuration.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MatrixRob
Grafter

If anyone is in doubt that their router is exposed, I have used this site for a number of years to check for open ports and internet vulnerabilities.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
It's a great site for profiling and checking router security.
Also the website uses an https for connection security for each individual check.
No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.
Albert Einstein
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. I'm reassured about the reconfigurability of the modem.  I'll have look at the website suggested by MatrixRob.  I've downloaded something I found on the internet called NMP to check vulnerabilities - any good?