Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router faulty??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Router faulty??

Thanks for that.

The original fault, was a phone POTS fault, and from what I can glean from the ticket, there was an E side pair swap, done for a crossed line, and from what Dad told me, the SFE engineer said they had not connected the new pair to the DSLAM, so that was why there was no broadband, but a normal phone line.  It does seem something is amiss, the engineer carried out some checks on the external wiring and cleaned up some connections outside as well.  The NTE was only changed, as it was so old, and in poor condition.

Only thing I can think of it the new pair is not of good quality.  Are there any more tests that can be performed.. Do you have any historic delta data for his line at all?

Is there a need here for another engineer vist, as he is below the FTR for the line. Not sure about the left in jumpers, this is only if you have fibre, and he has never had fibre....  Maybe the previous users of the pair had fibre??   Dad is not currently connected to the test socket, but I can have him do this.....

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Cheers for the info @penfold 

Initially, I'd like to see if the Test Socket helps as this is the easiest test we can do - as its 4pm on a Friday the chances of anything being received or even looked at by our suppliers until Monday is not good. 

I'm working both tomorrow & Sunday though - so i we need to I can send something over to them to get looked at on Monday either of those days. 

Do we need another engineer visit? - hard to say at the moment. If the Test Socket and the normal Own Domain Checks don't being the sync speed to at least within the estimates...then maybe, but let's not put the cart before the horse. 

See if you can get him into the TS and let me know over the weekend and I'll run some more tests for you. 

Thanks, 

MoR

penfold
Aspiring Pro

ok. Line attenuation in normal setup is as follows

Data rate: 419 / 975
7. Maximum data rate: 432 / 968
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 6.0
9. Line attenuation: 47.2 / 72.2

Line attenuation in test socket.

Data rate: 447 / 647
7. Maximum data rate: 452 / 644
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation: 47.2 / 73.5
penfold
Aspiring Pro

It seems that there is definitely an issue with the pair that he has been put on. On his tickets from his pots fault it seems as if there was a pair change somewhere. I personally feel there needs a bt vist, but would welcome any other checks you can do. 650kbps isnt usable so putting faceplate back on. He has told me that the engineer says the green box here is problematic and 1meg is the best he can ger, but if you look at his historic delta data hes been at 2.5 alot. Indeed on the adsl checker, his last line check was on 25 feb, and sync was 2.69 down and 0.83 up.......... I have a screen grab of this if needed
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Engineer notes from crossed line fault.
27/02/2019 13:23:00 - Engineer has resolved the fault located at the E-side / PCP.The fault was fixed by changing the pair MDF to PCP

Not sure what changing pair from MDF to PCP means...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Found an older stats from before the fault was,'fixed'
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @penfold

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've restested this one and it's coming back with another high resistance fault so I'd definitely recommend getting another engineer out. If you could pop some availability on the fault ticket here we'll get that arranged -  just let us know when you've done so.

Best wishes

Dave

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that dave. I've contacted him, and will reply on the ticket.... He's def up for upgrading to fibre, but I have advised waiting till this is fixed, as if its a 'd' side issue it will still be there. Hopefully its the E side pairs.....
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for that, @penfold.

Just give us a nudge when you've updated the ticket.

Enjoy the rest of your evening, my friend.

Best wishes

Dave

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ticket updated.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @penfold

I've booked in the SFI visit and updated the same ticket thread.

Thanks,

MoR

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Csc have rung my father, and tested line. They state that there is still an HR fault on the line that goes away when BT fitted mk4 plate removed. Speed still low both with and without faceplate, below 1meg, when before the issue and pair change he was getting over 2meg. I will get the most recent stats. If you can confirm this line has had an E side pair change then he's happy to move to fibre. If it's a D side issue then it needs resolving. Will post back with most current line stats. He can see his cab from his front window, but the line to exchange is very long. BTw checker Estimates the full 80/20
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers for the update.

From reading the engineer notes it looks like the engineer has changed the pair between the exchange and the cabinet. I can see we've raised the high resistance fault back through to our suppliers and the adviser plans to follow up on the 12th.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks @Gandalf. Having confirmed this is likely an e side issue, would you agree its safe to attempt the upgrade to fibre in your opinion??. One engineer has mention the POTS PCP is one of the worst in the area, and is always having faults. Fibre would negate the issues. Would be grateful for your thoughts. If he does upgrade, I hope is less painful than my mother in laws🤣🤣
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

It's possible though it'd be difficult to say and not something I'd be able to guarantee I'm afraid. If they do go ahead hopefully they don't encounter any issues with the order or the service afterwards, but feel free to let us know if they do and we'll be happy to investigate.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet