Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router faulty??

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Router faulty??

Just been to my dad's, as he rang me to say that he was having trouble with the internet. It seems that whenever the phone rings, within a few seconds the dsl sync drops. He says he has tried another phone, still same issues. I also tried with the phone dusconnected from the socket, no change. My first thought is a filter issue, as he is using a very old filtered faceplate, but he had his very old technicolour tg585 to hand, so i connected that up. Oddly enough, the dsl did not drop when incoming calls. He is normally using a home hub 5. I am going to try in test socket with a filter anyway. Quiet line test is quiet. 

Can a faulty router cause dsl drop when there is an incoming call??.    Another strange thing happened, that when i had rang off, he got an incoming call that appeared to be a crossed line. We could hear another conversation but they could not hear us.

Can a member of staff please run a gea line test, and possibly post up his radius logs, either here or i can access on a ticket on his account....

Would welcome any feedback as i am a little confused as to what is going on, and don't want to raise a fault if it is an internal issue

35 REPLIES 35
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Re: Router faulty??

Just wondering if the old technicolour router would be a bit more tolerant of line issues....  Not sure as router technicalities are not really my thing........

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Raised a fault, as tried with a hub 1 I had, still the same. Managed to get his mk2 faceplate off, as it had been put on with normal screws and not machine threads........ We had to remove the nte5 to do it, and in doing so, found that 3 wires were connected to the back. Blue and whites to A and B, and a brown and white connected to an E terminal. See photo. His Nte5 is so old it's got the bt T logo on it...... Tried with this E wire disconnected as well, but no change. Anyone know what this is.
Anyhow seems like a line fault, as we noticed that phone ring is not right when router connected, and different when router connected. We will see what an engineer says.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @penfold, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your Dads connection issues and for our delayed response.

So that I can run diagnostics on the line, can you please PM me the username of the account in question?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the reply. I think we've done as much troubleshooting as we can. It's currently left with a filter in the test socket. Any ideas about the connections, I've never seen that configuration before.... The Nte5 is likely circa 1989ish, as bt stopped with T logo in 1990 I think. I was going to replace the whole lot with an NTE5C and mk4 plate, but will see if tea and biccies will persuade an engineer to do it..... Anyway, PM sent. Many thanks.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting that info over to me so quickly @penfold.

On testing the line, I've located what's known as a battery contact within the copper network, which is usually an external fault, resulting from something down the line introducing excess current.

I've raised the issue to Openreach directly who advise me that their estimated response time for repair is by 23:59 on Wednesday 27th February. This is an estimate and the issue could be resolved before then.

Your Dad will shortly receive notification that I've updated the fault ticket - he doesn't need to take any action at this time.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch if you need any further information, or if anything changes.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the speedy response. Hopefully will be sorted remotely. If this is the case then I will be replacing the master socket with a new nte5c and mk4 plate, as i think this is allowed now. Please correct me if I am wrong.   Can anyone tell me if I can dispense with the E wire, as there are only A and B on all nte boxes I have ever seen. I presume it's a holdover from the past, either an earth or a ring wire.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@penfold wrote:   
Can anyone tell me if I can dispense with the E wire, as there are only A and B on all nte boxes I have ever seen. I presume it's a holdover from the past, either an earth or a ring wire.

I believe that in the days of party lines a local earth was required as part of the circuit to select the line. It is no longer required.

As I understand it you can only legally modify wiring to the householder side of the test socket. Whether of course you take any notice of this is up to you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Agreed - no earth required.

Re the master - hopefully the engineer will replace it anyway, but if you DIY afterwards, as long as you're competent nothing bad will happen.  Wink

Choccie biccies are generally preferred.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks both.  It seems like OR are trying to fix this without attending the premises.

I did think that we couldn't change the master ourselves, but looking online, these new 5Cs are being sold on a lot of reputable sites, and the connections on the back of the master to the A and B are now IDC terminals.

Anyhow, if engineer comes, then I am sure he would fit a new Master, as the old one is so old.......

If not, I will have to see what I can do 🙂  I am pretty competent with wiring, and Dad is a retired electrical& TV engineer.

Thanks 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Engineer had to attend as they changed the pair remotely but forgot to connect this pair to broadband. Anyhow engineer changed socket as well, but connection is worse than beforehand. They were getting 2meg on a 55db attn, but now sync at 959, with an attenuation of 77ish. I have attached photos of the line stats. Any ideas what could be wrong....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from attachment in a public forum.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @penfold 

I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'll link in with @OskarPapa as soon as he gets on shift and we can look into this.

Kind Regards, 

MoR

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that.  Although I have no evidence of previous attenuation figures, I am sure you can get data on his previous line rates.  I do wonder if the new pair is not as good.

Can you confirm this was an E side pair change.  If so, hes seriously considering fibre, so its not too much of an issue once he has fibre.

In the interim, it would be good to have at least his 2Mb back.

Many Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@penfold 

OskarPapa hasn't yet come in - DM me the relevant username (i'm afraid I cant see the ones you've sent him previously) and i'll take a look into all this for you 

Thanks, 

MoR

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for the PM @penfold 

Here is a GEA test from today;

xDSL Status Test Summary

Sync Status:Circuit In Sync

General Information

NTE Status:NTE Power Status: Power On Bypass Status: - 

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information

Loop Loss:47.1 / 73.5

SNR Margin:7.0 / 6.1

Errored Seconds:0 / 3

HEC Errors:0

Cell Count:1749 / 6148

Speed:408 / 856

This is below the 1-3Mbps Estimates the our supplier are providing for the line. There are no faults that are present, so we are going to have to look into why the Sync rate is lower than it should be. 

Here is the engineer report; 

Customer Report: End customer informed us there is no broadband connection./        Initial test results: DeltaR test performed at NTE back plate.The test passed with resistance within permissible range for broadband on 28/02/2019.PQT performed at NTE backplate.The test passed on 28/02/2019./        What was found: No noise, misrouted / crossed lines or left in FTTC jumpers in PCP on the line Identified./        Actions to Resolve: Base module checks completed.NTE replaced as it was obsolete./        Additional Information: NTE not faulty but changed NTE to latest version of NTE to enable isolation of internal wiring./        Final test results: Final PQT performed at the NTE back plate.The test passed on 28/02/2019.Final FastTest completed.The test passed on 28/02/2019 09:12:24

SO nothing about E or D Side work - it all looks internal. 

" NTE not faulty but changed NTE to latest version of NTE to enable isolation of internal wiring." - can you see if yoru Dad is connected to the test Socket of the new NTE or not? 

Thanks, 

MoR