cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router fault ?

Ysaldir

Router fault ?

Hi,
I have recently been experiencing intermittant terrible packet loss to my router, a 585v8, generally from a single PC on the network at a time but occasionally affecting others too.  I can run for about a day without trouble but then I will see spikes of 100% packet loss to the router every 5 minutes or less, lasting for 10 seconds at a time.  I noticed last time this happened that although one PC was dropping pings to the router, I was still able to ping that PC from another one on the network.  These ping dropouts are to the router itself and I have never noticed any drop in line quality,  in order to fix this I have to reboot the router.  I have tried a factory reset of the router but this hasn't made much difference, I have also swapped cables and reinstalled network drivers.  My systems appear to be virus / nasty stuff free and network monitoring with tcpview etc doesn't show any unusual connections or traffic spikes.
So ..  has anyone experienced similar problems and is there anything I can look at or set on the router / PCs ?  The 2 main PCs are Win7 64-bit.
As an additional note (which I appreciate could potentially go in the games forum but I can't be sure if it's related to the above problems or not).  This problem appears to have started around the time of the Diablo 3 open beta weekend in mid April - the beta client caused my whole internal network to drop until the router was restarted, forums suggested disabling UPnP which did indeed help.  However Diablo 3 (the full version now) will only run for about 2 hours before crashing the router, requiring a router reboot which fixes things immediately.  Note that the router ping drops are occuring even when D3 has not been run so it's hard to say if this is related.  I have 2 PCs running D3 so Blizzard generic tech support advice of setting up port forwards doesn't help me...
Searching various forum posts I have found suggestions that Diablo 3 (and other Blizzard products which I would imagine use similar networking methods) are not happy with 'older' routers - does the 585 count as old and would requesting a 582 help ?  Even so surely I wouldn't be seeing a problem when D3 is not running and hasn't been since the previous router reboot ?  Does anyone out there have similar experiences running D3 on a 585 or 582 router ?
Lots of questions there but any advice or tips appreciated - I'm a professional techie so bizarre imtermittant faults like this drive me mad !
Regards and thanks for reading 🙂
Paul.
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router fault ?

Hi there,
It might help you to connect two PCs directly via ethernet to see if packet loss between them still occurs, that way if it doesn't and the issue seems isolated to the router trying another would be a really good idea.
I've just checked your account and unfortunately you've had the 585 over a year so it's outside of warranty terms but we can provide you with a TG582n either for £40 + £4.99 p&p  or free (on a 12 month deferred contract) + £4.99 p&p so let me know if you'd like to do that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
lorisarvendu
Grafter

I had something similar to this about 6 months ago.  Connections between PCs were suddenly going to pot for no reason.  I traced it to a faulty switch box I'd had for about 3 years.  It would work fine for a while after restarting, then weird intermittent faults kept cropping up.  The network would drop from 100mbs to 10mbs and back again.  New switch box and all was fine.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
Ysaldir

Thanks for the comments.  I managed to test out with a spare switch between PCs and router which helped a little,  I still see some packet loss from the ADSL router but not between the PCs ..  therefore I'm as convinced as I can be that the router is starting to go.
Adam could you please arrange for a replacement 582n please ?  I'm happy to take the 12 month deferred option.
Ysaldir

Did my request for a new router get picked up anywhere and is there an ETA ?
I'm having to reboot more than once per day now which is driving me mad 🙂
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry for the delayed reply, can you let us know a good date/time to call? We'll need a payment of £4.99 to cover the postage and packing, and that can only be done via debit or credit card.
Ysaldir

Hi,
I'm available anytime really on the mobile attached to my account, or most evenings on the home number.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, sorry for the delay in coming back to you, and thanks for your time on the phone - that's been ordered for you and should be with you in the next couple of days.