cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router drops on incoming call

Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Router drops on incoming call

Hi ! I’m a newbie and a retired engineer who worked for Siemens for many years on cctv .
My partner had a new line put in with BT last Tuesday and contract for with plusnet for internet provider.
So there have been a few drop outs with the router indicating with the classic orange light. Having said that is has been quite stable since the install of five days ago. However, I made a discovery last night which on my research seems to be common. I tried ringing in last night and the router dropped its connection. I tried this half a dozen times and sure enough it dropped out every time. The router was then stable for the rest of the evening.
Now , it’s a new installation and I really need to get this sorted. The BT line comes into the house into a main socket.The engineer said to me his advice was to use that socket as a junction box unless I particularly wanted it live. Thus I don’t have the facility to remove the face place isolating every thing else . It’s wired straight through to a new socket downstairs with built in filter, the cable is new. I’ve read and tried an extra filter to no avail. My research tells me it could be a high resistance on the Bt line, poor or corroded connection etc
I need some advice on how to tackle this as I don’t want to get into a to and fro thing over many weeks. Ideally I would like BT to check the line physically back to the local fibre box , connections , jelly crimps etc. When I ring plus net I don’t want to be told check this, replace the filter, could be a faulty faceplate etc, it’s a complete new install from the BT pole to the router.
What is your advice
Roger
27 REPLIES 27
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Router drops on incoming call

I think the only thing you can do is test the test socket, which means taking off the faceplate off the master socket.

If it makes no difference, then you will have to raise a fault.

You could also try a 17070 option 2 quiet line test to see if there is any noise on your line.

EDIT: Also do you have a different router you can try, to rule out it being a dodgy router?

Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Thanks Alex for your suggestion . Re the face plate on main socket , as I explained in my text , the engineer has wired it straight through that box so the face plate is not even connected, cable comes in and straight out.
I have tried another router as I don’t have one. The install is only 5 days old and I feel at this moment it hasn’t passed it’s acceptance and is not fit for purpose at the moment. Good on the quiet mine test.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Gw3xjc wrote:
I have tried another router as I don’t have one.

So that means you haven't?

Fair enough, just if you have a spare it worth testing it to rule out a hardware fault your end.

Owain_2
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Could you open the 'main socket' (junction box) and tell us exactly how it is wired, what is connected to what?

Then the 'new socket downstairs' is that an NTE with a removable front filter faceplate? And how is that connected? Is everything clean and dry?

What I would hope to see is

incoming drop wire - 2 jelly crimps - one pair of internal cable - NTE backplate A and B - NTE filter faceplate - router.

Any other wires teed off, especially a 'bell wire' would be concerning.

Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Yes typo, I haven’t got one , at the moment
Thanks for getting back to me
Roger
Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Thanks for suggestions, I haven’t opened the main box but the engineer said he was wiring straight through .
The box down stairs : the engineer said I could use that the same as a main box by removing the front for isolation. There will be no water ingress, it’s only been in five days and it’s all new, cable and boxes . I will check tho to make sure that there is nothing obvious. I think being an engineer , albeit in electronics rather than BT, I’ve over seen the job and I think I may have convinced myself that it’s a high resistance somewhere in the BT system but I take your point and will double check things .
Roger
Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Just an update , I haven’t been available today but the plusnet team ran a test with the faceplate off and they have said there is definitely a line fault.
Roger
Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Just an update on this, I wasn’t there when the BT engineer called at the beginning of the week. Apparently he tested the brand new installation which proved to be good. He spent a few hours between a cabinet and up a pole, the result was that the download speed has doubled from 15mbs to 32 mbs and no router disconnection . It’s been running very stable for five days now so I conclude that he found and issue and fixed I
Take care everyone
Rog
Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Just some more updates if the router dropping out when a phone call comes in.
It had been quite stable for 5 days then it Went again . Engineer told me today that there is a 200 pair cable in a duct which is faulty but duct is blocked , he has found a good pair and hoping for the best.
R
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Sync dropping on incoming call (on an ADLS service - which is where this post has been made...) is usually caused by a faulty filter or a faulty line card in the exchange.  You might not yet be out of the woods.

HOWEVER "the result was that the download speed has doubled from 15mbs to 32 mbs and no router disconnection" suggests that you might be on FTTC - in which case this is on the wrong board and there is some risk that you'll receive inappropriate advice!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Thanks , first of all what is FTTC, I don’t know that acronym .
We had already replaced the filter twice to eliminate it. BT found a definite fault and nothing to do with our internal equipment. They actually found a few faults the last one being a faulty 200 pair cable which really needs replacing but the duct is blocked but they did find one spare pair in the meantime. The speed has reduced from 35 to 27 but we can live with that as long as it’s stable.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet - uses VDSL modulation as opposed to 'traditional' ADSL broadband.

This forum board is for ADSL (full copper) issues.  Fibre broadband has its own board.

If your service is fibre, then please use the POST OPTIONS drop-down, report to moderators and ask them to move this topic to the right board.  There people with more FTTC knowledge might have more relevant input.  With FTTC an exchange line card is less likely to be an issue for the described symptoms than if this were an ADSL service (where such faults are far more prevalent).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gw3xjc
Dabbler

Thanks for explaining the acronym , I’m not not familiar with that one, hundreds of other technical acronyms but not that one.

Again I don’t understand stand what your saying.
“This forum board is for ADSL (full copper) issues. Fibre broadband has its own board.”
I’ve already explained that they seemed to have found a fault in a 200 pair cable .
There is “copper” going from the house asdl to a fibre cabinet some 350 meters away. There are various joints on the way but tests have proved that there is an issue with a 200 pair COPPER cable which is under the pavement. The ideal solution of course would be to pull in a new multicore COPPER cable but unfortunately there is a blockage in the duct so pulling a cable in is not an easy option as it involves civil works. The engineer found a pair ( the only one left) to get us back up and running. I have no doubt that BT will eventually renew the COPPER when this Covid is all over. I’m pleased they have found the fault and it correlates with research I have done.
I hope that explains the position a little better.
Roger
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Gw3xjc The fact that your connection to the cabinet is copper does not alter the fact that you are on a Fibre To The Cabinet service, which means your topic should be on that board.

John