cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router does not appear to accept wireless password from xbox one

Len
Grafter

Router does not appear to accept wireless password from xbox one

I've just treated myself to an Xbox One and can connect to the internet via Ethernet cable to the router perfectly OK.
But I need the cable to go to my Sky box instead and use wireless to connect the xbox.
When using the Network menu on the xbox I can see my wireless network listed and can select it.
It then prompts me for the network key ( which is on the label on router) .
This I have checked is correct as I can connect my iPod and iPads OK.
But after entering the key all I get is the Busy rotating icon until it times out and says it cannot connect.
The funny thing is that if I enter a key that is blatantly wrong it is rejected it in a couple of seconds but when
using the correct key it times out after a fair delay.
Any ideas?
Len

3 REPLIES 3
OCdragon2
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: Router does not appear to accept wireless password from xbox one

Does new wireless connection required "registration" is enabled in your router, which requires you to enable a wireless search, or pressing a button depending on the router, in your router when you're trying to connect any devices wirelessly to your router? Enabling of any new wireless connections by registration, rather than just relying on having the correct network-key, could improve your network security but would be a pain in the neck because you have to initial a wireless-search as well every time you're trying to connection a new device to your router wirelessly! Alternatively, you can just disable the wireless registration in your router and only relying on the correct network-key for your network security!
Len
Grafter

I just supply the Key when adding a new wireless device to the network.
No pressing of buttons or anything....
Like I said, my iPod and iPad connects ok.
If I supply a key that is completely wrong it is rejected in a couple of seconds.
If I supply the correct Key then I get the spinning busy icon for sometime before it times out and tells me it cannot connect.
Perhaps there is a setting on the xbox one I'm missing?
len
Len
Grafter

Problem solved  Smiley
There are two keys printed on the bottom of the router, I picked the wrong one!
I should have known better, but, we all have our off days  Grin