Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router despatch - cutting it fine

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Router despatch - cutting it fine

I ordered an upgrade to fibre about 3 weeks ago and the engineer is due to visit next Wednesday 20th Feb pm. I've been checking the order for the router and it's been pending the dispatch all this time. I rang Plusnet this morning about 11am and asked them if it should have been sent yet. Whilst I was on the phone, the chap put me on hold and said that he'd gone through to get the router sent and it should be with me in 3-5 working? days. I said that it was cutting it fine as the engineer is due in that time and he said it should be OK. My postman doesn't come until late so delivery on Wednesday is probably out. I sometimes think he decides not to deliver at all on certain days.
Can anyone tell me in their experience how long it takes for the router to arrive once it's been despatched? Incidentally, it's still saying it's pending and awaiting processing in my admin area.
I'm wondering if the thing would have been sent at all if I hadn't rung up.
Annie
32 REPLIES 32
Vip3r
Grafter

Re: Router despatch - cutting it fine

Hi Annie, it's been a while since I had a router from Plusnet, but reading the forums, It seems that its not uncommon to receive a text message to say that the router has now been dispatched the same day as it arrives, I'm guessing that the system lags behind reality by a day or two  Roll_eyes
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Annie
I can see that your router was dispatched on Friday. TBH we don't usually dispatch them until 2 working days before and I'd be surprised if it doesn't reach you in time for the install.
Please let me know if there's any problems though.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies. My router turned up on Saturday so I'm all set for the upgrade.
Annie
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great news, thanks for letting us know - hope all goes well tomorrow, please keep us posted! Smiley
Annie
Rising Star

The engineer has been and all is well. I still need to set up Wireless devices but have a couple of quick questions first.
I think I read somewhere that I have to wait 24 or 48 hours before the speed increases. I did a speed test at http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ and it said I had 37512 kbps upspeed and 9092 kbps download speed so I guess this means it's already done.
Secondly, I accidentally pressed the WPS light on the router and it flashed red for about 5 minutes or so before going out. This led me to look into this and I've read about a vulnerability - http://telecom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25608/~/wps-security-risk---technicolor-tg582n,-...
I have no idea what WPS means or whether I should be disabling it as the article says. Please could someone advise me.
Many thanks.
Annie
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Someone will give a detailed explanation, but it is a simple way to give a wireless client (eg laptop) the WPA/WPA2 encryption key. Attempting to connect while the light is flashing will result in the router passing the required information to the client (provided it is WPS capable) and then usually turns WPS off immediately - otherwise it times out after a set time (5 mins).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to hear you're up and running Annie, let me know if you do come across any other issues.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for the info Peter. Before your reply, I disabled WPS in the router settings under the Wireless configuration. Was this OK? I presume I'm more secure with WPS disabled than enabled.
I've since set up most of my wireless devices (the old-fashioned way as I like to disable broadcasting SSID and only allow new stations via registration) and all seems fine. It wouldn't let me set up new wi-fi devices with those changes whilst WPS was enabled.
Annie
englishrick
Grafter

I'm being connected on Friday as well and still yet to receive Router...
Annie
Rising Star

My router arrived in good time but I don't know whether this was as a result of my phone call. If it was, then it arrived the day after I rang. It might be a good idea to ring Plusnet to ascertain if your's has been sent yet.
Annie
Joopzor
Grafter

I got a message of plusnet on the friday and it arrived sat morning so it seems fast postage!
+1 plusnet
DrDave
Grafter

Quote from: englishrick
I'm being connected on Friday as well and still yet to receive Router...

It will arrive on Wednesday of not Thursday. Keep an eye on your account/text messages and you'll be able to see it's progress.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi englishrick, it's been ordered for you and will hopefully arrive tomorrow, if not Saturday morning. Really sorry about the delay there.
englishrick
Grafter

Good job I went and got myself an Asus Router then otherwise I'd of been without tinternet wouldn't I !!!!
dick:quote