cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router advice needed

frank39
Grafter

Re: Router advice needed

The 582n brochure may describe the USB port as 3G backup, whatever that is, but the help page shown during the router configuration describes it as supporting a USB HDD as a network drive and gives details on how to set it up and access it both through Windows and ftp.  You do map the folders on the drive and not the root directory.
msssltd
Grafter

What I would do JoJo, is...
Check the PCs networking settings appear to be correct. 
Netbios over TCP (NBT) needs to be enabled but often isn't.
The Windows Networking Client and File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks, need to be installed and bound to the network interface. Sometimes they are not, as Windows file sharing can be quite the security risk.
Any firewall/internet security package on the PC, must be configured to allow Netbios on the local subnet.  Off the top of my head, TCP/UDP 135 and TCP 137, 138, 139, 445.  As an aside, border devices should be configured to block Netbios, as it carries all sorts of information you would probably rather not leak onto the internet.
Check the router sharing config appear to be correct. 
In the depths of Lanman and WfWg peer to peer history, the Workgroup name was used as an authentication mechanism, so should be made the same across all peer devices sharing resources.  Computer and Workgroup names can be 15 characters but 8 characters removes any chance of legacy incompatibility - i.e. some third party devices are still depending on MSDOS conventions.
When you are happy the network is configured as it should be configured.
Open a cmd prompt on the PC and use...
net view \\<Router LAN IP>
Which should produce a list of shares or a meaningful error message. 
If you get an error message, let us know what it is.
Just be aware that above TCP/IP and Netbios, Windows Networking protocols are proprietary to M$.  Router manufacturers roll their own version of Samba (a closed room reverse engineering, Open Source project) to support Windows Networking.  There is usually a delay between M$ making changes that bork Samba and Samba catching up.  With the stupidly thin margins on domestic routers (sub £200), manufacturers will often launch a new device in preference to fixing an old device, which broke after the last Windows update. 
Some M$ client's do not work with some third party devices and that is the end of it.
I'm wondering if installing Win7 would help?

How's your sense of humour this morning? 
To pass on an old joke and risk offending some members of the audience.
There are two types of IT support people.
The Support Analyst:  Works methodically from symptom to cause, breaking down the problem logically at each stage, locating the pertinent documentation, comprehending the available information in the context of what is observed, until they have identified which buttons should be pressed, in the order they must be pressed, to correctly resolve the underlying fault.
The Support Monkey:  Repeatedly presses buttons at  random, until a pleasing display of coloured lights is produced.

:grin
More seriously.  Installing Win7 will put the networking config back to defaults, which may be enough to get the sharing working.  Introducing WIn7 to the problem would introduce new variables and failure modes though.  A scratch install of XP would also get back to defaults, with less complication and a greater chance of being compatible with an old Samba implementation.  Whether either method will work, depends on the nature of the failure in the first place -  The fault may be the symptom of one or other end being misconfigured, or the combination of the two ends being fundamentally incompatible. 
A quick Google indicates you are far from the only person struggling to map a drive to the DGN2200. 'Don't bother!' Being a fairly common suggestion.
HTH
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Has anyone with the Technicolor router added a USB HDD to the USB port and successfully used it for Apple Mac "Time Machine" backup?
Zap
Grafter

If you need a router, buy a router, one that best serves your connection needs.
if you go buy some hybrid device you will get a "jack fo all trades and master of none"
If you need network storage, buy a NAS device that meets your NAS server needs.
For I have several terabyte nas devices on my lan with Raid5, they give me performance and fault tolerance because these are important to me.
Perhaps you need uPnP features or you want a device that can act as a torrent downloader (mine can't)
Define your needs for each product and prioritise them
I once saw a hybrid western digital device but it never took off.
USB (except USB3) is very slow
10/100 is slow in Ethernet these days, I have a Gigabyte switch and gigabit ports on all my devices
The markets for these two devices move at different speeds, if you need a 27cn router and have to buy a new one your investment in the storage is in the toilet.
Once you start using devices like a NAS you realise that it might be nice to be able to stream music or to backup all your photos or whatever

Quote from: maranello
Looking for some help.
I have been using portable USB storage for backup and file transfer between a desktop and netbook PC, and thought I would use networked storage to achieve the same aim without the need to keep plugging and unplugging the USB drives. The options I have been considering are to either buy a USB network server with my existing USB drives, or to buy network storage. However, I don't need a terabyte drive (OK, I might some time in the future), and the network server devices seem to have mixed reviews particularly with regard to the software to drive them and problems with mixed access.
Thinking laterally, I was wondering if any router manufacturers produced routers with USB drive ports to achieve the same aim, and if so, if anyone has any feedback on using such a facility.

Zap
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
If you get a router that specifically states that it's support NAS, which the DGN2200 don't, then it should not be a problem. As an example http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2110.html

What is so dumb about that Draytek is that it has 10/100 not Gigabit ports, also I had a nightmare with their Router on ADSL2, they are great for VoIP and VPN's but would not buy another.
Putting a storage on a USB2 port and serving it over 10/100 is going to be VERY SLOW

Imagine two clowns on unicyles, each going around their own circles and that the circles intersect at one place.  The clowns can only give each other a small amount and only when they pass each other. 
Well USB is one circle and Ethernet is the other, the problem is that when data cannot be served packets are dropped and have to be transmitted again and so make the problem worse.
USB is just not good for this purpose