cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Trouble

MrGreenGenes

Router Trouble

So, there I was, all excited as I'd just got the text telling me I was hooked up and ready to go.  Everything was wired up and with trembling hands I fired up Firefox on my laptop ... and the connection dropped out.  It wasn't even as though I was looking at any dodgy sites (unless you consider the BBC news to be suspect).  The service took a few minutes to regenerate itself and then I tried email instead.  Same result.
Next I tried the wire connected desktop.  Perfect.  Maybe, I thought, it's because the wireless connection needs a little while to settle down.  No, the laptop still knackered everything, several hours later.
Finally, I unpacked the wireless extender I've been using for the last several years and plugged that into the Plusnet router.  Lo and behold, perfection (well, nearly - there is a minor problem with Linux, my laptop and hibernation but I know all about that).  So, I am left with the only conclusion possible.  The wireless router provided from Plusnet is cra ... no, I mean slightly less than wonderful  Wink  .
Seriously, is there a problem with the wireless bit of the Thomson router which Plusnet provide?  Why does it not work, whereas the old Edimax extender does?  The box is in exactly the same place and the Thomson wireless drops out wherever the laptop is, be it right alongside or at the other end of the house.  Any clues?
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Router Trouble

If it's the TG585v8, try switching the wi-fi 'n' off, either set 'g' only or 'b+g', the feeble 'n' mode can be a bit flaky and hardly worth a tiny extra bit of speed.
Sorry, can't remember exactly where it is in the router menus but shouldn't be too difficult to find.
Some Intel wi-fi chipsets also have known issues and there is a specific fix for these but do try switching 'n' off first.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MrGreenGenes

Thanks.  I've found it in the menu so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi MrGreenGenes,
I would definitely try it on 'g', just on it's own, and also try changing your Wireless Channel. (This should be in the same area). I hope this helps you with the problem you've been having.
MrGreenGenes

Thanks very much guys.  After 12 hours it seems to be stable on b+g but you've given me more ideas as a back up just in case.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Glad to see you got that sorted. I'll make sure I pass your gratitude on to Chris for his help over the weekend.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team