cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Reboot Looping - Fibre Connection

FIXED
motivforz

Router Reboot Looping - Fibre Connection

I've had an issue with my connection for four days. I've not been able to connect to the network reliably, and when I have (through 3 different devices, wired and wireless), there's been no internet connection.  I've tried calling every evening but faced with 30min plus delays I've not continued to hold for a response until last night. I went through the usual first responses of switching off and on again, unplugging and plugging in everything, making sure it's going through a filter, etc etc. The phone line  can't be tested by me as I have no home phone. 

Last night after limited testing witht he plusnet operative the issue has been passed onto the faults team which I expect a response from in 48-72 hours. Previously faults have been resolved whilst on the phone, so I find the lack of a live faults team pretty frustrating as I'm left without a connection, for a further 2-3 days. 

Further investigation on my part, plugging into the test socket (it was previously in the facia socket of the main openreach port in the house), and restarting the router has shown up another symptom. The router is cycling between orange flashing, green solid, and blue lights, with a red "b" has shown up once on the front plate. This looks to be a router fault, as it's been left overnight and is still cycling between statuses of "starting up", "fault" and "working" with around 20second intervals. Switching off and on again has no effect. 

I'm left pretty frustrated as this will likely be up to a week I've paid for without service, and the response has been pretty underwhelming. Faced with a 30-45min wait on hold for any form of customer service is pretty poor, and live chat has also been unavailable when tried (using an internet connection away from home - therefore of limited use anyway!). 

I'm hopeful of a more complete response and plan to fix, by posting on this forum, judging by some of the previous plusnet responses I've found. 

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Router Reboot Looping - Fibre Connection

Fix

You don't have a Chromecast by any chance do you ? There is a problem with the latest firmware on it which cause the Hub one to reboot ? https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Fibre-router-one-hub-continuously-flashing-orange-gree...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

motivforz

I do have a chromecast audio, so the timing does tie in with that thread and the Monday night / Tuesday fault occurring. Thank you for your rapid response, I will try that this evening when I get home. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That will almost certainly be the problem then. Due to the number of reboots, I believe your HUb one will have done a factory reset by now.

You will need to join the preview progam for the Chromecast and update it's firmware via a different internet connection , there's some ideas on the other thread.

TBH I'm a bit disappointed that the PN customer service people didn't ask about Chromecast...Sad

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

motivforz

Just a note to say that this was the cause of the issue. Switching chromecast audio off fixed the problem immediately, and then switching it back on created it again. 

On another note, a brand new chromecast recently purchased did not have the same effect. I'll be pursuing flashing the units to get to a working solution based on the helpful responses on here.

Many thanks!