cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Query

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Router Query

I have just had to change from a defunct PC to a new one.  I connect to the internet with a Voyager 210.
On the original machine when I closed the PC down the internet light on the router went out.  On the new machine all lights remain on. 
Is this a problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Router Query

Does the lights go out if you remove the power cord from the PC? If so then the network card may be set so it can start the machine up.
Check for any wake up on lan settings, either in the BIOS or in windows as it may still be powering the network card if Windows thinks its a device that can be used to restart the machine.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to clarify.
I believe that the reason described by Peter refers to the LAN light not the DSL light - I am using Voyager terminology (LAN is your connection from the computer to the router and DSL is the connection from the router to the internet)
Please check.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Peter
Does the lights go out if you remove the power cord from the PC? If so then the network card may be set so it can start the machine up.
Check for any wake up on lan settings, either in the BIOS or in windows as it may still be powering the network card if Windows thinks its a device that can be used to restart the machine.
Does it cause any problems having all lights on?
I am lost when you talk about LAN settings.  If there is any need for me to do anything could I please ask for an idiot's guide?

When I unplug the USB cable from the PC the USB light goes out on the router but the three lights, power, dsl and internet, stay on.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think that behaviour is the normal default behaviour of the router. There is nothing to worry about.
The Internet light shows whether your connection to PlusNet is connected or not; your old PC was probably causing the router to "disconnect when the connection is not being used" whereas now it is "stay connected at all times".
When I used a Voyager 210 (with XP SP2) those 3 lights stayed green at all times. I think USB went off when the PC was shut down. On the other hand if I used Ethernet that stayed green too, even when the PC was shut down because the network card remained live.
David
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Thanks for your comments.  It just concerned me as it was different to my other PC.