Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/Phone Assistance

MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Router/Phone Assistance

Okay, so here is the situation.
I only have one phone socket, the master one which is in the hallway next to the front door.
My living room is on the other side of my flat - which is where I'd like my phone & router to be.
Is it possible to have them both in there?
If so, how?
If they require extra long cables, which would I need?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Re: Router/Phone Assistance

I think I might know where I am going wrong but I still need further assistance.
I recently bought a 15 meter Ethernet cable, thinking this is what I needed. I now know that I should have got an RJ-11 cable instead.
That should allow me to have my Router in the living room.
Unless I am wrong on that?

And then I have the phone to deal with next.
The cable that came with my phone is nowhere near long enough.
Can I buy extra long phone cables? (One that plugs from the Master Socket to the back of the phones Base Station)
If so, is there a name for this cable? (So I don't end up buying the wrong thing again Tongue )
Apologies if this is actually a simple question and I am sounding like a complete numpty...
Originally I had planned to have the router in the living room, so that we could connect our games consoles via ethernet, and have our laptops wireless.
Would the drop in signal strength be greater if:
1) We keep it wireless and have the router plugged in the hallway
or
2) Use a very long extension cable away from the master socket to have it in the living room.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Bump
Added some fresh info.
I apologise if its confusing. Feel free to ask questions if you need to.
And thank you!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You could put a filtered master socket in the hall. Then use one pair of wires in the Ethernet cable to connect to an extension phone socket and connect a second pair of wires to the data extension connectors on the filter to a RJ11 socket.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Came up with a simple solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it before...
Just got a 15 meter phone extension cable and put an ADSL filter on the end. Now I can have both phone and router in my living room.
Crazy
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I really hope it was a twisted pair extension lead and not a flat one
picbits
Rising Star

It will work but you may lose speed.
Do you have a power socket near the master socket you could plug the router into, run the extension for the telephone and a separate CAT5 cable for the data then plus a cheap (<£10) switch in to give you the multiple network points at the other end ?
One more cable than your idea but potentially far less hassle for interference and data loss ?
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Expecting Broadband activation by midnight this Saturday.
I'll see what the connection is like this way for a bit, and if I run into any issues I will try the other suggestions.
Thanks guys Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

You could also do what I do and have the modem and a DECT twin cordless phone plugged into the master socket then use cordless phones in the house - the twin and triple packs come with extra chargers so you can dot the phones around the flat and always have somewhere handy to charge them up.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

I have got 2 cordless phones. Just got the base station plugged in which will sit next to my router in the living room. And I have the other handset + charging station in my bedroom.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: GameGenieBob
Came up with a simple solution. Can't believe I didn't think of it before...
Just got a 15 meter phone extension cable and put an ADSL filter on the end. Now I can have both phone and router in my living room.
Crazy

If that is just a standard cheap telephone extension cable that might just be one of the dumbest ideas you've had. I tried using a 2M one years ago and it wrecked my connection.
Is the cable round or flat in profile?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

I wouldn't say dumbest idea - that would infer the OP understood how issues with extensions and non twisted pair cabling can kill a signal.
I'd say that is isn't a good idea using the extension cable if there is the possibility of keeping the modem as close to the master socket as possible.
MegaPixelMan
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

If that is just a standard cheap telephone extension cable that might just be one of the dumbest ideas you've had. I tried using a 2M one years ago and it wrecked my connection.

It's almost like you assume I already have the same knowledge of cables, routers or whatever, that you do and I am purposely using the worst option.
I must apologise if my lack of knowledge annoys you in some way.
To answer your question, its a flat cable...
*Awaits incoming barrage of abuse*
knowdice
Rising Star

To get the best performance you should ideally split away the phone from the broadband at the master socket where it comes in to your house.
The difference in performance between flat and twisted pair cable will depend to a certain extent on how far away from the exchange you are.
If the exchange is next door then it will not matter much, but, if you are several km away then it could make quite a difference.
Any idea on how far away you are?
Can you post your router stats when you get on line?
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: GameGenieBob
I must apologise if my lack of knowledge annoys you in some way.
*Awaits incoming barrage of abuse*

I wouldn't sweat it. You wouldn't be the first person to make that mistake and certainly won't be the last.
It would seem logical to be able to do this with an extension and it may well work to some extent but could introduce all kinds of other issues that you wouldn't normally attribute back to the extension cable.
As above though - router as near to the NTE5 box as you can get it will give you the best possible connection speed and most reliable connection. Plug your flat phone extension into the ADSL filter and use it exclusively for your phone and you should be fine.