cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Life Span

valart
Grafter

Router Life Span

I just wondered how long routers last for being that they are left on my own one is left on 24/7 and what are the signs when the router is on the way out,my one is 4 months old although I have not used it for at least five years because two were set to me at the time.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Router Life Span

There's no one right answer to those question to be honest as both of those factors vary massively depending on the make and model and even then no product is designed to have a definite lifespan. However to dispell a common misconception switching devices on and off can be more harmful than leaving them on, especially with devices such as routers as they are designed to be left powered on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Mine was made in 2004 and I've had it in use about 3 years - my brother used it for about 2-3 years and then put it aside when his BT router arrived before palming it off on me.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it's kept powered on 24/7 so it is not subjected to warm up/cool down cycles and well ventilated (and out of direct sunlight) so it doesn't get too hot it's quite reasonable to expect 5 to 10 years. Really the only reason to change should be to get updated technology - e.g. update your wireless from b/g to b/g/n.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My cheap and not so nasty Origo lasted from 2001 too 2006 when adslmax was first enabled and it no longer Worked with adslmax, but it still worked fine.
My Vigor which replaced it lasted 2006 too 2010 after a thunderstorm killed it
My buffallo [never buy that brand again] lasted from 2010 too 2012, no sure why it just died
Currently have the PN Tecnicolour, as always they are always powered on, unless I am in and a thunder storm is close.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November