cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Choosing

bubbalicious
Grafter

Router Choosing

I've just bought a Sony FZ31M laptop and was wondering if  anyone has any suggestions for a N-wireless Router that will cope both  a new Sony Laptop using Vista with the 802.11a.b.g.n capability (Intel 4965AGN adapter) and a Dell laptop using Windows XP Pro -but only 802.11b/g?
At the moment I am using the BT Voyager 2091 router but I am having real trouble getting to connect with the Vista Laptop, I've disabled the pre-installed Norton, updated drivers etc and tried everything I can think of and am just not getting anywhere, but the XP machine has no problems! At the moment I am having to connect with the Ethernet cable to the Vista laptop and its getting on my nerves!!!
I chose a laptop specifically to give me the extra ' N' coverage, paid the extra to do so, and  have now decided to give up trying to go wireless with the Voyager as it would only give me up to 'g' coverage anyway and buy a 'n' router?
I've looked at so many across the internet and seen some that cost £50, some that cost £100, I think I have totally confused myself ( not that that's hard ).  I seem to be seeing that there are differences between the available routers more than just the price but don't know what to look for!
Can anyone help me with this, I need the best coverage range I can get, and if that means using the Bt Voyager to give wireless to the 802.11b/g laptop and buy another for my 802.11n laptop then that is ok.
Thanks to anyone who can help a damsel in distress!!
1 REPLY 1
bubbalicious
Grafter

Re: Router Choosing

PJ  :DThanks for the tip - I will find track a netgear down tomorrow and put in an order, oddly enough I got out my old Netgear DG834Gv3 at the minute, and despite it being years old it still works fine!
I had been wanting to message you!  I dropped a topic about 'does it really seem my wireless adapter is broken???' about a Sony Laptop that wasn't working!  Sony picked it up and had a look and found the Network adapter was faulty and I have now received a replacement laptop today - that does work!
You were kind enough to offer to help me, posting back 'Critically though, check that Windows Zero Configuration utility is set to control the wireless- if you need instructions on how to do this I'll write a blog article on the subject (with screenshots).' My Sony seems to have its own 'bits' to do with the Wireless and so was hoping you are still able to help me with changing this!  I think I understand what it will do but actually  on it, i'm paranoid I might do something wrong! Embarrassed
If you are able to provide instructions, thank you so very much, but I do understand if it is now mor possible and thanks for the Router tip! Kiss Kiss