cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously high usage

Conor

Ridiculously high usage

Just joined Plusnet from ADSL24 and migration over finished Wed afternoon. A bit worried about the Usage Graph as I'm on the 20GB Pro package. Since changing over at 2pm, I've apparently used over 750MB in 12hrs. Now on ADSL24, I never went over 20GB total (peak and offpeak) in a month even when having a heavy month downloading Win7 BETA/RC and Ubuntu ISOs.
Now since Midnight, I've browsed several websites, downloaded some newsgroup messages (about 100 text only messages), got a handful of emails, watched a 2 minute Youtube Video (not HD) and also listened to a 3 minute streaming song from We7.com.  Bearing in mind I use Adblock, all of that apparently adds up to 122MB. Err, I don't think so.
I've scanned my system and its clean.It'd also take someone about 120 years to crack my wifi and there's nothing showing up there either.
Are there any known issues with the View My Broadband Usage Tool?
6 REPLIES 6
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: Ridiculously high usage

I dont think so no, all I can say is that the usage also includes any uploads too.
I was also once shocked by how much we use just by browsing and stuff lately, you can see on my screenshot below the days where I was clearly downloading, and the other days where I wasnt. 200meg daily is my average, and thats not downloading,youtubing, nothing at all.
I was once on the 20gb package, the internet wasnt as enjoyable for me. Having to worry about my usage all the time, my friends talking and discussing about videos they were watching, and me unable to watch them due to bandwidth etc.... I eventually moved over to Premium. The only difference for me is my downloads with torrents are much slower until after midnight, which when you think about it isnt all that bad, because you wouldnt download until midnight anyway on the 20gb package :]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There have been issues with VMBU, don't know whether they would have caused that, but from what you've said it does look somewhat OTT.
Have you looked at the detailed usage to see where it supposedly came from? Hopefully someone from Comms will be along and look into this for you.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Firstly welcome to Plusnet, and to the forums. Smiley
Your usage does seem a little high for yesterday, did you have any automatic Windows updates or such like? Does include upload too as someone here also said.
I can get an hourly breakdown for you if you wish?
As an aside, the VMBU issues we've had recently won't affect the figures displayed, they would however have affected our traffic management systems and VMBU being reset for a small number of customers.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Conor,
Further to Mand's update we're suspecting it was windows updates that caused the usage spike. Your hourly usage is showing nearly 400MB downloaded between 4pm and 6pm, and yesterday was the day after patch tuesday.
The hourly breakdown:

Usage Details
Hour Upload (MB) Downloaded (MB)
14 0.2226          2.5760
15 1.7901         19.3645
16 7.3522         176.6864
17 6.5320         196.1733
18 3.2992         30.5265
19 2.1194         12.7381
20 3.1798         30.3872
21 2.2176         15.8032
22 3.1837         86.6624
23 0.0034         0.0044
Conor

Thankyou for the hour by hour breakdown. Accosted number 1 son just now and it turns out he discovered the Sky Player on the Xbox 360 and was merrily watching away and we thought he was watching TV.  Angry
I've educated him about the amount of data Sky Player, BBC iPlayer and the like wolf through.  Grin
I'll keep an eye out over the next few days but  everything else looks roughly right.
Oh, and if the speed and quality of your reply is anything to go by, I think I've migrated to the right ISP. Many thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad we could help, I suppose if it happens again you could always lump him with the data charges if you need to purchase extra usage as a result of his watching - should the need arise of course.
Please let us know if there's anything further we can do for you.