cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted for Off-Peak useage

curleydel
Dabbler

Restricted for Off-Peak useage

Hi all, Is there a limit for the amount of Off Peak bandwidth you use. Cry A couple of days ago Off-peak was its usual 3 to 4 mb downloading but peak times only about 130 kbps d/l and 55/60 kbps u/l. Down all the usual checks but no faults. I had used 150gig off peak but only 8 gig peak with a 15 gig limit on Premier 1. I raised a ticket and the reply was I had exceeded my limit and was restricted. BUT I am only restricted peak times when I have plenty of bandwidth left( when it takes 30/40 seconds to load a single page) but I'm not restricted Off  where I've used lots & lots of gigs.
I have had no emails warning me of the restriction but when I have got to 11 gig of my peak usage before I have had the email warning me.
Is this a new thing of limiting off peak as I have never been close to 150 gig before and probably won't again.
Many thanks  Derek.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Restricted for Off-Peak useage

There are no limits imposed for off-peak traffic, but is limited by the available bandwidth on the BT centrals - i.e. it is shared amongst all users.
There are restrictions during peak time but again you share it with others so if a lot of people using things like P2P the overall speeds people get will vary.
curleydel
Dabbler

Thanks Peter, This is the reply I got from my ticket:-  (at least I am only restricted til tomorrow)

Key: Peak usage Peak usage: 8.07GB 4pm - Midnight
Key: Off-Peak usage Off-peak usage: 154.03GB Midnight - 4pm
  Total usage: 162.1GB

This will reset on your next billing date of 07/01/2009. I hope this helps and please let us know should you require any further assistance. You can do this by either replying to this ticket at http://contactus.plus.net or by calling us on 0114 2965198.
But the thing what annoyed me the most was that I had no warning email from Plusnet.
Derek
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

That doesn't say you are restricted?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hiya,
On Broadband Premier, there shouldn't be any management being applied during off peak times other than the rate limits which are applied to all users of the same product on advanced protocols such as P2P and Usenet.
curleydel
Dabbler

I did the speedchecker before 4pm and came back at 3.5mb done it twice tonight and both at about 128 kbps d/l and 60 u/l. It takes about 4 minutes to do the speedchecker it's so slow. Take for ever to even  see a plusnet page.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Looks like you are been incorrectly throttled, I'd reply to the ticket seeking clarification if you can.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'