Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Residential Broadband Products available to existing customers

JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Residential Broadband Products available to existing customers

Hi
I'm billed as having "PlusNet Broadband Pay As You Go (Monthly Contract, No Modem)" @ £14.99 / month .
I see that there are cheaper options available on the main site, namely "Value" @ £6.49 / month and "Extra" @ £11.49 / month - but as I understand it, these both require ADSL2+ routers, whereas I have an old ADSL router.
I've checked my estimated speed for ADSL2+ and there is very little difference, due to my distance from the exchange etc., so there seems little point in going ADSL2+ for now, especially considering upgrade hassle and stability concerns.
I therefore have some questions:
1)  Is there a cheaper option available to me, staying with ADSL?      (e.g. "Value" but retaining my current router).
2) If I did upgrade to ADSL2+, how much pain am I likely to get?  Stability is my main concern.
TIA!
p.s.
feel free to add additional relevant information 😉
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Residential Broadband Products available to existing customers

the prices above are for a Market 3 exchange, you can check which you are in here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search, the Market 1&2 prices are at the bottom of the page
You can get a PN router for £4.99 postage, and providing you stay for 12 moths it is free, leave arly and I think its £40
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First and most important
You don't need to go onto ADSL2+ when you change products - you are normally asked if you want to and I refused for the same reason as you (I am on 21CN but also on ADSL1)
Second
The products you refer to have major differences from your present product in relation to traffic shaping. The current equivalent is Pro which is more expensive but with a higher usage allowance.
Fundamentally though, if you are using under 2GB per month you are unlikely to be bothered by the traffic shaping - see here and put in your products http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For comparing products I suggest using the Product Comparison tool on the Usertools site http://usergroup.plus.net/newprodcomp.php which includes the current products.
And market classification of your exchange can be checked using the Exchange Checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/.
As far as ADSL2+ goes, if your distance from the exchange means you would see little speed benefit from it remaining on ADSL1 is probably best from a speed stability point of view. However as Oldjim mentioned this does not preclude you moving to 21CN. I believe fault levels on 21CN are higher than on 20CN but my impression is that those using the ADSL2/2+ protocols are more affected by this.
David
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: spraxyt
. I believe fault levels on 21CN are higher than on 20CN
I haven't seen this but my experience is definitely not typical as the move to 21CN fixed a cross talk problem at the exchange
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks all, very helpful.
The last time I talked to PN about this, when the exchange was first upgraded to ADSL2+, they told me the new services were not available without upgrading my ADSL h/w.  Good to know this policy has changed.  I had forgotten about traffic shaping issues, I've been blissfully (seemingly) unaffected by such things.  Now I'll have to think about it!
Is there an immediate benefit to changing to 21CN (while staying with ADSL1)?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I don't think you get the option as moving to 21CN reduces Plusnet's costs