Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Router

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Resetting Router

I am constantly having to reset my Thompson TG582n Router.
No doubt the following setup may have something to do with it but would be grateful for comments,
1. Desktop computer is connected via Ethernet cable & is Running Linux.
2. Laptop connects using Wi-Fi and is using Windows 7.
3. The router is switched off when we are not on the internet.
I Do not wish to change the OS on either computer and would be concerned about leaving the router on 24/7

We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Re: Resetting Router

Hello,
Is anyone there !
Comments or suggestions on my previous post would be helpful.
Thank you.  Smiley
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Why do you think it needs resetting?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Because I just get the message.........unable to establish a connection.
I Get this message no matter what web site I try to connect to except  192.168.1.254 which gets me to the gateway bit, oddly enough it shows I am connected but if I try to connect I just get the unable to establish connection.
All the green lights on the router are on.
I Can connect ok 3 or 4 times and when I do the connection never drops but then the next time I log on I get the unable to establish connection message ?
NB, Thanks for responding Nozzer I thought everyone had fallen out with me !  Cry 
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i belive most people here will tell you to leave router ON .
as if you turn off too many times this may cause your loss of connection  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

if it helps, the TG582n brochure makes the following statement:
ECO
Technicolor offers its customers ECO labeled products. Next to carefully selected plastics and packaging to minimize the ecological footprint, the gateways benefit from a unique combination of hardware and software features that reduce power consumption substantially. For instance, a button at the front allows the user to disable/enable the wireless access point when its function is not required.
Suggests that they keep power consumption low (and even allow you to lower it by switching off the wireless when not in use), this is consistent with the intention that the device is left on to prevent DLM issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
joncooper
Grafter

all the advice I've seen suggests leaving the router on
every time you turn it off 'the system' sees it as a disconnection and adjusts itself to suit
lots of disconnections = system that thinks it has a terrible connection
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

If your router loses connection it should attempt to re-establish it automatically. I'd advise leaving it a few seconds to see if it does that itself. If that doesn't work I'd consider trying a factory reset.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mrblue79

Hi too all, i have recently joined PN. I have been reading posts on the communtiy site about rebooting your router. Some say never to reboot the router and some do. Iam wondering what is the best too do, reboot or not to reboot? Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mrblue79,
It varies depending on which service you're on really, though a reboot should only be required if there's some kind of problem or the service is slowing down. You're currently on the up to 8Mb/s service on the 20CN network and are getting the fastest speeds possible so unless you notice things slowing down significantly I'd recommend leaving the router on, you'd only really need to reboot if the connection needed to sync up at a faster speed after slowing down.
Hope that helps explain things.