Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting ADSLMax profile?

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Resetting ADSLMax profile?

I have an ADSLMax Premium connection. Yesterday the connection dropped, and when it came back I have a profile of 2.5Mbps rather than the usual 8Mbps. It is normally very stable, and apart from a few weeks ago when the BT engineers were working in the area it rarely drops.
I understand that the profile will improve over 3 days, but is there any way to reset it sooner?
I work from home and 2.5Mbps is just not usable (even when the profile is 8Mbps I still can't stream iPlayer etc - at best I can just manage to stream radio with a few pauses). I'm already ridiculed by my colleagues in India and China who all have >300Mbps connections.
Here are the results from the BTW performance tester:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.03 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.81 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
I would have used online chat to ask this, but it is down. Again. And there is (as usual) an excessive wait for the phone helpline.
7 REPLIES 7
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Re: Resetting ADSLMax profile?

I managed to get through to support on chat. I was told to reset the router - now my BTW Performance results are even worse!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.76 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.94 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2.5 Mbps
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Unfortunately, rebooting the router was likely to have been counter-productive while waiting for the BT IP Profile to increase. It should have increased within a few days, provided you remained continually connected.
There is probably something else that's also wrong if you couldn't stream iPlayer and that was the only thing using the Internet at the time. 720p iPlayer content was about 3.2 Mbit last time I checked. Streaming audio shouldn't be that difficult, since it could be only 128kbit/s - audio uses little bandwidth.
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Actually, something strange has happened.
I contacted support via chat again, and my SNR was reset. My upload speed on speedtest.net has been restored - well, not restored as the best I've seen before was under 6Mbps, and I'm now getting 6.65Mbps! (sync is 8Mbps down 0.8Mbps up as usual).
However, my latency has halved from around 40ms to 18ms! Previously my latency varied wildly from 40ms up to 850ms - which is why I usually have difficulty with Lync etc. 
The tthinkbroadband quality monitor clearly shows the same drop in latency see
Fingers crossed that it will help with the issues I've had...
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Sounds like Interleaving has been removed, that adds around 20ms to the round trip time.  Regarding the wildly varying latencies, do you have anything uploading like Google drive sync or iPhoto or cloud backup?  It's quite easy to max out the upload.
corringham
Seasoned Champion

Actually, you may have hit the nail on the head with interleaving. My router previously reported interleave depth 0 - when I asked support to remove interleave they told me I was on fast path, and that interleave depth 0 was just my router's way of showing that. However, it now reports fast path.
It's annoying to think that I've had months of bad internet for no reason!
Thanks for your comment, it makes sense of things.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To be honest given the state of your BQM graph there is very likely something wrong with your connection
The way the automatic systems handle that is to apply interleaving in the first instance followed by increasing the default noise margin (I think that it is in that order)
It is likely - unless something has changed - that interleaving will be progressively applied again and the default noise margin increased by the automatic systems
Note that applying an SNR reset was almost certainly a full reset which takes you back to non interleaved with a default noise margin of 6dB
corringham
Seasoned Champion

The BQM graph is a little worse than usual, but there are no errors reported by the router and my connection usually lasts weeks between resets. My SNR is typically 9dB down (6dB currently) and at least 12dB up (14dB currently). The xDSL check gives an indicative line quality of A. I'll be disappointed if interleaving is applied again.