cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset my SNR target

IanQ
Grafter

Reset my SNR target

I need my exchange SNR target resetting to 6db.
Can this be done by one of the very helpful Plusnet employees monitoring these forums or do I need to raise a ticket? Also once it has been reset do I need to wait the usual 3-5 days for BT to catch up or is only a router reboot needed?
Since moving to ADSL Max I have had a rock steady 1500k connection using a 3Comm router even though we have a very long overhead line. I had read that the Speedtouch 716 routers were meant to perform well on long lines and may give a few extra db of SNR margin enabling a faster connection speed so I decided to try one.
It did give a few extra dbs of SNR margin, so after leaving it about week to make sure there were no problems I used the DMT tool to tweak the settings and boosted my connection speed to 2000k, which gives me a very worthwhile 30% faster connection speed. The connection was stable with only the occasional dropout, every day or two, followed by an instant resynch. This I can live with for the extra speed increase.
Unfortunately the testing became complicated by a complete loss of phone and broadband after a storm. After about 5 days without a phone or broadband, it happened over a weekend, a BT engineer phoned to say he had just corrected the fault caused by a squirrel chewing througth the cable!
The connection then remained stable at 2000k for about 12 days when we had another storm. This time a branch of a tree broke and pulled down a length of cable between two poles.  BT took over a week to sort this out before finally putting a temporary cable along the ground between the 2 poles. My connection returned to 2000k and was still stable.
A few days later BT replaced the temporary cable with a permanent overhead one and I then started to get erratic dropouts and resynchs with the resynchs happening at lower connection speeds. I assumed this must be a problem with the new cable but as it was very intermittent did not report it as I expected it to get worse when it would be easier to prove there was a problem.
I downloaded and ran Routerstats to keep a log of the problem and to see if it would help locate the problem.
I also tried all the connections in the house, plugging directly into the test socket etc but still had the same problems. I already have the NTE2000 filtered face plate fitted so have no filters to check.
After lots of resynchs some as low as 180k, eventually my connection stabilised at 500k after the exchange automatically increased my SNR target to try to stabilise the line.
As I was about to go on holiday I left reporting it until I returned.
When I returned I decided to have one last test before I reported it and reconnected my old 3Comm router. This does not work with Routerstats but does keep its own log of dropped connections. After 4 days I have had no dropped connections, except when I rebooted the router to check the resynch speed, so I assume that I must have a faulty Speedtouch router.
I now need my exchange SNR target resetting back to 6db so I can get my connection speed back to my previous stable 1500K.
Sorry for the long explanation but I thought explaining the full sequence of events may prevent the usual to and fro of emails asking if I have checked this, then that etc. and may speed up the process of getting my SNR reset.
Ian
PS Just in case it helps I have just run the BT speed tester and the results are :-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1088 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 438 kbps

Currently my router gives :-
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 13 dB 15 dB
Attenuation 63 dB 60 dB
The Attenuation has always been this high when I was using this router before changing to the Speedtouch.
The Speedtouch gave a different Upstream attenuation of 31.5 so I am not sure if the upstream reading is not being reported correctly on one of the routers.
3 REPLIES 3
Captainkirk
Grafter

Re: Reset my SNR target

We too are also on a long line from the exchange Ian - any one or two drop outs will cause BT to reset the IP profile down to 1mb...we had electricity problems a few weeks ago and had three drop outs in the space of a half hour to the router - our profile has been set back again to 1mb and despite sync speeds being higher the profile never changes.  I haven't bothered to try and sort it out this time as I know it will only happen again - we too were getting regular speeds of around 1500 and I don't see why an occasional drop to the router should make them reset the profile immediately....drives me mad!!!!!  Sad
Hope you get it sorted
Tracey
scootie
Grafter

i had my snr set to 9db a month or 2 ago. i raised a ticket and then i had to use the raise a fault thing in the member centre.
do i bit of googling or ask on ere. people will give u a gd idea of which routers and the firmware they run preform best on long  and noisey lines.
i had the voyager 210 and was geting the odd droped con and really carzy snr flucts so upgraded to the netgear dg834g and since geting that and havin my snr set down to 9db i havent had any reconnects and my snr is rocksolid. this is on a 53db atten line. so i deffrent router may preform better on your 63db atten line.
Lucy
Grafter

After about 5 days without a phone or broadband, it happened over a weekend, a BT engineer phoned to say he had just corrected the fault caused by a squirrel chewing througth the cable!

I too had squirrels on the line once, what a nighmare that was. You have my sympathies Smiley
A few days ago I replaced a 2 year old Netgear DG834G v.3 with a Bipac 5200G. Still can't get over the difference. With the DG384, the SNR was perfectly stable during the day, but all over the place after dark leading to an almost daily disconnection. No way to raise the IP profile, or even think of asking for the target SNR to be reset.
The Bipac so far has stayed very close to the target SNR, going down only very slightly and gradually through the evening, and no disconnection. In 3 days, the IP went from 4000 to 5000.  This is quite good for a line over 4km long:
SNR Margin: 13.5 db
Line Attenuation: 50.5 db
Data Rate: 5664 kbps
Could be that the DG834 had deteriorated over time, at the beginning it was a lot better at maintaining sync through the evening SNR upheavals, even going to negative figures without dropping sync. In any case, the Bipac seems much more resilient to electrical interference than the DG834 ever was.