Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset my BRAS profile

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Reset my BRAS profile

Since your router has been connected for 38 hours (I assume without dropping the connection) your BTw IP Profile must be on the verge of increasing to 7150kbps. This always seems to take longer than expected to increase, particularly for small increases.
If you find the IP Profile is still 6500kbps by mid-day (today as I post) restarting your router (once) can help to give it a nudge.
Does the portal High-Speed Broadband setting now show 6500kbps (as it should)? Once the IP Profile gets to 7150kbps the portal value should increase to 7000kbps within a few hours (it takes time for the delta report from BTw to be received and acted upon).
David
martin2006
Grafter

hi, the profile in my connection settings is still showing 5500, although the bt speed test says 6500.
i will leave the router connected until i get home tonight and see what it says then.
this was taken from connection settings in my high speed broadband settings in pn account -
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 5500 Kbps
many thanks
andy
martin2006
Grafter

this was off bt speedtest this morning

1/2/08 08.30
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4988 kbps
James
Grafter

Hi Martin,
It looks like your profile has now been changed at this end, so you should now be able to gain the optimal speed that your line will allow.
martin2006
Grafter

hi, yes thanks very much, the connection setting has now increased to 7000 from 5500, is that as high as it goes or could the ip profile increase from 7150 on the bt speedtest if the connection stays stable at 8128.
some people are never happy!
thanks
Andy
James
Grafter

Andy,
It's essentially the same thing.  If it brings you any peace of mind I can change this to 8000Kbps, but you shouldn't see any difference at all.
martin2006
Grafter

yeah ok, if you can it would make me a happy camper, even if its just to show off to my mate round the corner.
cheers
andy
martin2006
Grafter

3/1/08 14.32
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4958 kbps

The above is my latest bt speed test, could the 7150 figure be expected to increase or is that as high as it goes on an 8mb connection
cheers
Andy
martin2006
Grafter

ok thanks, will my connection setting in my plusnet page be set to 8000 do you know.
cheers
andy
amcclean
Rising Star

How can I tell if my cable from the phone to the router is shielded. My speed dropped from 8128 to 4000 a while ago and I guess that is something worth looking into.
A
martin2006
Grafter

hi, if your speed has dropped then something has probably changed, i tried to rule out the possible factors, so i purchased a filtered face plate and also good quality cable, although it is better to extend ethernet cable than phone line, but i purchased the following and also ran numerous bt speed tests to try and determine my line profile.
i also made sure the phone line wasnt running near any major electrical sources like extension sockets or heating boilers.
if you have a problem then post it in the community support forums and someone will help you.
i am 90% there with my issue.
i also upgraded to your way pro as i normally use my connection for gaming.
if your problem is a a one off or usually good but sometimes your speeds are down then it may be down to the number of people using your exchange, also known as contention.
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105&osCsid=2o4svq7d7ot0tjfipn...
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=118
http://speedtester.bt.com/.
good luck
Andy
martin2006
Grafter

Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 7000 Kbps
What does this speed mean?
The speed shown above is based on your sync speed. This is always a little higher than the speed at which data will actually be downloaded over your broadband connection. Find out more about sync speed.

Find out more about up to 8Mb broadband by reading our high-speed broadband guide.

the above is taken off my pn settings, can you change this to [color=blue]8000 [/color] please.
thanks
Andy
James
Grafter

Andy.
I've changed this manually for you.
martin2006
Grafter

hi james, thanks very much for all your help, it makes me feel better even if it doesnt make any difference.
i have been getting some good speed test results as well, 6500+ which is the highest its been so many thanks.
all seems stable as well
cheers
andy
stoley

Hello all,
Glad that your speed is sorted now martin!
Your speed issue sounds just like what I am currently going through.  Since the beginning of Feb I have had a very slow speed of 135kbps.  I have spent time trying everything suggested in the plus support pages (and nothing has changed on the line, hardware added or moved or otherwise) to no avail.
The latest BT speedtest read like this:
"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  2464 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 117 kbps"
I have been restarting my router several times a day for the last 5 days in an attempt to have the hardware re-train/sync but it hasn't worked.
If any moderator can set/ask BT to retrain my profile that would be great! It's the only thing left to try that I can think of.
Many thanks,

Stoley.