cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset my BRAS profile

martin2006
Grafter

Reset my BRAS profile

i have been having issues with my sync speed whichi i have already posted, but i have upgraded to plusnet pro and would like to know if this will reset my bras profile with the exchange as it is stuck at 5500 when it used to be 6500.
i upgraded via the website about 10 days ago but on talking to plusnet it hadnt happened so they have redone it today.
i have had a ticket running for weeks but the only reponse i seem to get from the customer support is that the sync speed has reduced due to contention which i dont believe
i was told it would cost me £40 if the profie is reset manually.
many thanks
Andy
49 REPLIES 49
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Reset my BRAS profile

Can I ask were you were told it would cost £40 to reset this profile?
I can confirm this is not the case, but at the same time, a change of your product to Broadband Your Way Pro would not result in a change to your BRAS profile either.
The BRAS profile is relevant to the line rate and the stability of the line, and is a calculation performed by the BT network and has no relevancy to the amount you pay to your Boradband provider (by this, I mean this applies to all providers, not just PlusNet), or the product you may change between.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks like your profile has been wavering from 4 to 6mb over the past couple of weeks, most likely this is caused by something new being added to your phone line - could this be the case?
Unfortunately the profile reset is automatically done by the equipment in your phone exchange though we have placed an order to remove interleaving which should speed up your connection slightly, though it won't have any effect on the line speed or profile itself.
If needs be we can reset the profile for you, this would be done by us raising a fault and certainly won't cost you anything - apologies for that misinformation. The only time we can do this however is if you are consistently in sync above the line profile (for example, if you look at the downstream connection rate on your ADSL hardware and this reads over 7000 for a week or so, but your line profile remains at 4500 and doesn't update).
Hope that helps, please let me know if it could be anything attached to the line and I'll be able to investigate further for you.
martin2006
Grafter

hi, i was told today on the phone it would cost £40 as it would be charged as a new installation and i have also been told it could cost up to £170 pounds if BT investigate and find nothing wrong, and this is on top of being told a number of times it is due to contention which is also not true.
my main concern has been that it used to run consitently at around 6 mb and is never going to achieve this if my sync speed is only 5500.
this is from one of my tickets ---
With regard to the fault experienced, unfortunately we are reluctant to raise this issue to BT due to the fact that the speeds being achieved are above BT's acceptable margins. This may lead to you being charged the abortive fee of £170 should BT investigate and find no fault or find a fault with your internal wiring or equipment.
it feels like i am being threatened with being charged each time just to make me go away.
as far as anything being added to the line, i had a new phone line put in on a separate number quite a few months ago and more recently have changed to an adsl2 router, sheilded cable and new master socket with built in filter, but these were all to try and resolve this issue.
many thanks for your replys anyway, this is the most help i have had so far, if the fault is something in my house, then so be it but all i am asking for is help to put it right
i will have a look at my hardware to try and get the information
many thanks
Andy
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
Sorry about the hassle over this. It's true that there is a charge issued by BT if they investigate a fault and find none, but this is not intended to be a threat and I apologise that it came off as such.
The improvements you've done should be fine but the shielded cable worries me - is this a shielded telephone extension? It's better not to use an extension cable at all if possible, as these can have an effect on the sync speed. If it's not then there shouldn't be any issues, but if you let us know how the testing goes then we'll keep on advising. Post the information in when you get it.
If you haven't already it'd be well worth unplugging all other items from the line and testing the speed with just the router in the master socket, if the sync speed has increased then it's likely to be something on the line that's causing the fault.
Hope that helps,
martin2006
Grafter

Hi the extension is a 15m rj11 to rj11 high quality cable as per link.
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=118&osCsid=k3dh3isqkt86kcl45q...
i use this as my master socket is by the front door and my pc is upstairs.
i looked in the router main page and it says DSL SPEED 448/7616 kbps, is this the info you need, i rebooted the router as well to reset the time connected as it gives a system up time, i can email a screenshot if this reqd.
thanks for your help, let me know what you think regarding the cable.
regards
Andy

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As I said, it's a phone extension - even if you need it to use the service, I'd still test without it. I'm happy to eat my words if it makes no difference but I've seen too many problems caused by these things (admittedly mostly the low quality ones, but still) to ignore it.
martin2006
Grafter

hi, whats the best way to bypass it, i have a lap top, should i take the router downstairs and run a speed test or would it need to be connected for a long period of time, in which case i think the 4 year old son would 'disconnect' it while it was unattended
thanks
andy
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Martin2006.
Have you run a BT Speedtest to determine your IPProfile. Also are you using filters or a filtered faceplate. The link you provided, appears to be a good quality RJ11 cable, so doubt thats the issue. What are your line stats. Try www.kitz.co.uk, if you dont know how to find them. Maybe you synced a little low and thus your profile dropped to 5500, but it needs 3 days at a sync of above 7392, to get a 6.5meg profile.
chino
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
Hi Martin2006.
Have you run a BT Speedtest to determine your IPProfile. Also are you using filters or a filtered faceplate. The link you provided, appears to be a good quality RJ11 cable, so doubt thats the issue. What are your line stats. Try www.kitz.co.uk, if you dont know how to find them. Maybe you synced a little low and thus your profile dropped to 5500, but it needs 3 days at a sync of above 7392, to get a 6.5meg profile.

To follow on what what penfold has said, it can take a full 3 days to increase the BRAS profile and the extension does seem a good quality one. The profile can sometimes increase well before the 3 day though (took mine 4 days before it changed from 500kbps to 5000kbps  Angry )
martin2006
Grafter

i have changed to a filtered face plate and removed the separate filters, again to try and resolve this issue, the three tests i ran are below, and also the face plate.
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105&osCsid=7jjsae9p9fcu27dmdt...
17/1/08 20.30 hrs
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6624 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4117 kbps
18/1/08 07.30 hrs
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5027 kbps
18/1/08 16.20 hrs
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3274 kbps
Modem Status
Connection Status  Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)  448
Ds Rate (Kbps)  7616
US Margin  24
DS Margin  9
Trained Modulation  ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors  0
DS Line Attenuation  63
US Line Attenuation  16
Peak Cell Rate  1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast  0
CRC Tx Fast  0
CRC Rx Interleaved  0
CRC Tx Interleaved  5
Path Mode  Interleaved

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count  0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count  0

that lot dont mean much to me but let me know what else i should look for.
i rebooted the router earlier, and this is off the first page,
System Uptime:  2 hours 36 minutes
DSL Status: Connected
DSL Speed: 448/7616kbps

Ethernet: Connected
USB: Disconnected 
Software Version: 3.7.1
Firmware Version: 
i think interleaving is being switched off as of today, the firewall at plusnet has been switched off and the account is being upgraded to pro as from today.

thanks very much for your help
Andy
martin2006
Grafter

forgot to mention the faceplate and cable were changed 4 days ago.
cheers
martin2006
Grafter

this was off of a bt broadband checker.
We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband and we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 6.5 (Megabits per second).
andy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: martin2006
18/1/08 16.20 hrs
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3274 kbps
Modem Status
Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)   448
Ds Rate (Kbps)   7616
US Margin   24
DS Margin   9
Trained Modulation   ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors   0
DS Line Attenuation   63
US Line Attenuation   16
Peak Cell Rate   1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast   0
CRC Tx Fast   0
CRC Rx Interleaved   0
CRC Tx Interleaved   5
Path Mode   Interleaved
System Uptime:  2 hours 36 minutes
i think interleaving is being switched off as of today, the firewall at plusnet has been switched off and the account is being upgraded to pro as from today.

Good news should be on its way. Some explanations which I hope make sense, referring to highlighted values.
The configuration changes have improved your sync speed from from 6624kbps to 7616kbps. IP Profiles are assigned by BTw based on sync speed; previously this was 5500kbps. If you manage to maintain the current sync rate of 7616kbps the IP Profile will automatically increase to 6500kbps in 3 to 5 days (this timescale is set by BTw, there is nothing PlusNet can do to speed the process up).
Interleaving (Path Mode) is still ON. Once turned off it will say Fast; you will probably have to restart your connection to pick that up once BTw have made the change. You will find the CRC error counts move from the Interleaved to the Fast row once Interleaving is off.
The Downstream Attenuation (in red) shows as 63. That value must be wrong, for your stats it should be around 35-40.
Once things settle down I would expect you to see *actual* download speeds of 5500kbps at less busy times, perhaps better. That speed is less than the idealised maximum (the IP Profile) of 6500kbps for your current sync speed because of transmission protocol effects and overheads.
David
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hi,
Sorry about the hassle over this. It's true that there is a charge issued by BT if they investigate a fault and find none, but this is not intended to be a threat and I apologise that it came off as such.

I took it as a threat when I had low speed issues and I said I would pay but still no engineer sent  I fixed it myself in the end
puddy