cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for interleaving on

mikehvy
Dabbler

Request for interleaving on

Could you have interleaving turned on for my line to improve evening usage when the errors are higher.  I attached my line stats. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Request for interleaving on

Hi mikehvy,
No problem, I've placed an order for Interleaving to be switched on. This should take effect overnight tonight.
mikehvy
Dabbler

Hi Chris
Thanks for your reply, nothing has changed overnight. The reason I am responding this morning is because I put the same request in December and interleaving was supposed to be turned on within 24 hrs but nothing changed over the following days and I didn't follow it up with Plusnet.
The router re-synced mid-day yesterday at the higher speed of 3840 which has trouble connecting to the internet in the evening when the line errors are very high. Sure enough I couldn't connect to the internet because of the errors. Normally I would do a manual re-sync  to connect at a lower rate but I left it to check how the interleaving would help when switched on. Checking this morning I still couldn't connect and no interleaving showing so I switched the router off and on to connect at 3456 and I am able to use the net again. There are very few errors showing at this time of the day.
Here are the line stats from this morning when I couldn't connect and the 3456 connection. Hardly any errors at this time of day it is the evening time when I have the problems.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to me, mikehvy.
It's a little odd, the order has completed but hasn't actually applied Interleaving.
I'm just getting onto our suppliers about this now.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Interleaving should be applied to your line within the next 24 hours.
mikehvy
Dabbler

Interleaving is on now thanks. Nice to be able to do this by posting here.
I used to deliberately connect at the lower end of the range to gain a smoother connection so now I will see if I can gain a bump up from 2.5 to 3mb on my profile. Every little helps for those of us at the humbler end of broadband speeds!.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That is very true!
Glad that's been switched on for you now.
mikehvy
Dabbler

I couldn't access the internet this evening. I usually use it during daytime but I wanted to check my mail this evening and it couldn't connect. On checking the line stats there were about 230,000 FECs / min and 4000 CRCs/ min so the errors have shot up. The connection had held for over 4 days at 3456 and the profile had increased from 2.5 to 3 mb today.
I powered the router off and then on and it resynced at 3104 and the connection was ok again with smooth browsing. I conclude that on this long 6km line connecting at the top end of the rate is pointless as the error increase slows the connection and sometimes renders it unusable.
I took some screenshots.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You do have a long line admittedly, but it's not the longest line I've seen though.
You shouldn't have this many issues using your connection in my opinion. I think we should be having another look at this to be truthful.
If you'd be happy for us to do so, could you raise a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net
mikehvy
Dabbler

Hi Chris
Yes I would be happy for you to have a look into my line. I have had BTW down here on 2 occasions when I was with BT. The first time 3 years ago my 1mb 65 db attn. line became a 192 kb line and after a boost engineer visit it achieved 3mb+ with 53 db attn  but was never stable. I dare not leave it connected 24/7 because it would loose connection daily resulting in profile drop to 1.5mb or less.
Eventually in 2012 I ended up with a 12db TSNR and a 2mb unstable connection. This is when the second BTW engineer came but he didn't show much interest as I had a working broadband on a very long line so I shouldn't expect more than I was getting.
I will raise the fault on the link thanks. At the moment things are stable and the errors are ok.
What would i put for the fault. Broadband Not working, Slow, Loosing connection? all I know is it used to have disconnections with my other routers HH2 , BT business Hub when noise spikes prevented 24 hr connection. For some reason the TG582n stays connected most of the time.
Terranova667
Pro

with a 53db Attenuation if all was well you should be able to hit 4.2MB or so with a 6db profile on ADSL2+ on ADSl1 around maybe 4.5 maybe little more with no problems, clearly that is not happening for you to be on ADSL1 and having to run high SNR to remain stable basically i would say the overall line is bad and needs looking at again, hopefully this time get an engineer that goes there to do the job and fix the problem not question you have a long line.
As Chris says it's long but not that long to cause the issues your having, when i was on ADSL my Attenuation was 56db and was able to hit 4.2Mb on ADSL1 with a 6db profile and remain synced for weeks at a time, so if all was well with your line i see no reason why you couldn't get the same or better as i say 4.5Mb on ADSL1 with a 6db profile should be fast and stable enough for you to achieve. 

mikehvy
Dabbler

Thanks for your interest. The connection is presently holding and performing well since the resync. I do believe the 53 attn figure is somewhat flattering for the line and according to Kitz  should match a line length of 4.3 km but it is at least 6km.
I live 6km near a small village which I believe is a 2mb or less area, so I have one of the best lines in the area even though the distances from the exchange will match. I started with a fixed line in 2005 of 512 kbps as 1mb would not connect. As the exchange went over to dsl Max  the speed improved to 1mb which remained for the next 4 years. Then I had the HR fault on the pole outside the house, which the boost engineer found, which increased the speed to over 2mb and he also, I believe, put me on a better line from the exchange. I ended up with a reduction in atnn from 68db to 53db and a sync speed over 5000 at one point. This did not last the training period with a profile about 3mb and a tsnr of 9db. This was a lot better than 1mb but was prone to disconnections. There has been a slight deterioration since then. I wonder if the pole at the start of the lane to my house has any cause for concern as the cabling has been damaged as in the picture. I mentioned it to the last engineer but he showed no interest.
I do find a 2.5mb profile fine for web browsing as a sole user in the house and don't have smart tv at present. According to Broadband .eastriding this area could be part of phase 1 for superfast broadband through FTTC  this Summer. The cabinet is about 2 kms away, we will see.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mikehvy,
I can see that you've raised Ticket: 82731221 with our Faults team. They will investigate this further and provide an update for you as soon as they have any further information.
mikehvy
Dabbler

The faults team got back to me and said :- Having checked the speed coming down your line, it appears in this case as though the capabilities of your line are restricted by the length of your phone line, at present it is consistent with the speed expected for your connection and as such there is little else we are able to do to increase the speed.
During the time they monitored the line, it remained stable and had very few errors, so I closed the ticket. The next day the line resynced early afternoon from 3104 to 3424 with an increase in errors, but nothing like the millions per day when it can become unusable. Since the resync I thought I would monitor it using the Thinkbroadband  Quality monitor. On checking today I found the errors had increased to thousands per second and the TB Quality Monitor showed something happened at 8pm yesterday. I did a manual restart of the router and though it has synced at a higher rate of 3520 the errors have dropped dramatically.
So it appears the line has very few errors after a resync but will eventually start showing millions of errors some time later, which I'm guessing is triggered by who knows what. Can anybody explain this, I know the basic stuff but nothing more.