cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing the supplied fibre router

eglons
Dabbler

Replacing the supplied fibre router

Just had fibre installed and all is working. The router provided is a Netgear N150 and it seems incapable of handling streaming video over wireless (I previously had a pair of TP-LINK W8960N's covering the whole house at 300Mb which worked perfectly).
I am guessing a better Netgear router would solve the problem but would be interested to know if anyone had successfully replaced the supplied one (confirming there are no gotchas with MAC Cloning requirements etc) and also any recommendations for a decent cable router to use as a replacement (with wireless throughput and range the key requirements)
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Replacing the supplied fibre router

I haven't had a problem streaming with the supplied netgear.
You can use any router that is for cable (i.e. doesn't have just an ADSL modem) there are plenty to choose from and not just netgear.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Cathotel
Grafter

Hi,
If it helps my PN supplied one is still un-opened as I bought a Netgear WNR2200 N300 as I'd got used to a USB central storage area for the house.
Works fine except I have to use mixed TKIp and AES which limits mine to 54M as the NetGear print server can't handle the security Sad
Pete
eglons
Dabbler

Quote from: dvorak
I haven't had a problem streaming with the supplied netgear.
You can use any router that is for cable (i.e. doesn't have just an ADSL modem) there are plenty to choose from and not just netgear.

I guess it depends on the distances... I've got my home videos on a NAS box in the lounge, this is then connected via homeplug to the router and the bedroom (15m away) streams from there (4Gb iso files).
Previously I had the NAS connected to a slave w8960n which transmitted wirelessly at 300M (open security) to the main w8960n which then connected wirelessly to the bedroom.
The previous setup streams with no delay, the new setup is frame by frame "strobe" video and completely unusable so I have to assume it's the wireless strength/quality.
Not sure how to measure the signal strength to prove it though!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@eglons,
If you were to apply for the 80/20 fibre trial we can provide you with a ZyXEL NBG4604
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ffox
Pro

Quote from: eglons
I've got my home videos on a NAS box in the lounge, this is then connected via homeplug to the router and the bedroom (15m away) streams from there (4Gb iso files).

It could be the homeplugs causing the problem.  80MB ones can't cope with HD in my house.
eglons
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
@eglons,
If you were to apply for the 80/20 fibre trial we can provide you with a ZyXEL NBG4604
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20

I think the 80:20 is too risky for me as I rely on my connection... but the FTTP is one which could work as I could them have a backup ADSL, so I may try that.
eglons
Dabbler

Quote from: ffox
Quote from: eglons
I've got my home videos on a NAS box in the lounge, this is then connected via homeplug to the router and the bedroom (15m away) streams from there (4Gb iso files).

It could be the homeplugs causing the problem.   80MB ones can't cope with HD in my house.

I think you are right, I've moved the NAS to be plugged into the router direct and tried one of the wireless media devices in various parts of the house and all works fine (within the extremes of distance). the homeplugs are supposed to be 200MB ones but they obviously aren't working properly. The issue I have is that some of the kit I want to connect is not wireless so I assume I need to get some sort of wireless extender which allows me to connect it to the main router wirelessly but presents a wired connection to the devices which need is... any thoughts?
eglons
Dabbler

All working now but I'd still like to upgrade the router to get a stronger and faster signal, I'm happy with Netgear... any advice
eglons
Dabbler

Gone for the 3700. Connection is all over the place ranging from 80kbs to 7Mbs... cant be simply down to training... bad router or connection issue methinks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd advise trying another router first to eliminate that if you can but beyond that I'd advise raising a fault with us: https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
eglons
Dabbler

3700 arrived and installed and the wireless connection is rock solid now... can I flog the piece of junk Plusnet gave me?!
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Sure you can. Be warned though, when I listed mine on eBay it wasn't going to make any more than 99p so I pulled the auction - it is worth more to me than that as a spare.
NB. I have no opinion on whether it is actually a piece of junk as like CatHotel I never even unwrapped it
eglons
Dabbler

Yeah fair point... I'll add it to the pile of old kit I have to show the grandchildren some day!