cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming "My Account" - any suggestions?

Tamlyn
Grafter

Renaming "My Account" - any suggestions?

[Note: this topic was also posted on the PUG forum]
We're just kicking off the much delayed 'My Account' revamp project in which we will be redesigning and rebuilding 'My Account' from the ground up with vastly improved usability & accessibility and a more modern look. Part of this involves merging what is currently 'My Account' with what is currently 'Member Centre' and this gives us an opportunity to look at better names.
On the one hand 'My Account' is fairly clear and is used by many big sites such as Google. However it leads to nonsensical statements such as this from the current Member Centre. Other sites like Amazon use 'Your Account' which allows for a more consistent voice where We/Us/Our means PlusNet and You/Your means the user of the site.
But it's pretty obvious whose account it is so do we even need 'My' or 'Your'?
How about...
"Account Settings"
"PlusNet Control Panel"
"Customer Area"
"Account Centre"
Any suggestions?
16 REPLIES 16
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Renaming "My Account" - any suggestions?

Account Control Panel
lingbob
Grafter

Control Panel
Regards .....
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

cpanel  Cheesy
I'll get my coat Tongue
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Control Centre  Smiley
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Before reading the other posts, I thought about "Account Control Centre" but then I thought, how about
"Members Control Centre"  or  "Members Account Control Centre"
talpa
Grafter

"/etc"  Wink
MickKi
Grafter

What is a "control center"?
I understand what a "control panel" or "account control panel" is in this context.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought it was called the "Dashboard"
gswindale
Grafter

Not too bothered, but if you go down the "account centre" approach, make sure you spell centre correctly - none of that new-fangled "er" malarky.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: geofftswin
Not too bothered, but if you go down the "account centre" approach, make sure you spell centre correctly - none of that new-fangled "er" malarky.

Absolutely, ghawd-forbid that we are mistaken for Americans.  It should be spelled the proper British way, like <aheam> the French do . . .
Moot point if the Webster americanisms Vs the imported by the Normans word endings are the 'correct' way of spelling some words, but "account centre" could mean different things and it seems to me somewhat confusing.  If "control panel" is not helping, how about "account management"?
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

You learn something new everyday!
I though centre meant like a shopping centre and center was the middle of a circle!!
You can blame the schools! Grin
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

[off topic mode on]
Just like I use "program" for a computer program and "programme" for a list of events even though it isn't strictly correct
[/off topic mode off]
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Tamlyn

However it leads to nonsensical statements such as this from the current Member Centre.

I don't think that is too confusing or nonsensical - in that statement, "My Account" sounds like a feature of PlusNet that puts "you" in control - which it is!
I'm much keener on redoing, renaming, and reorganising the different sections and sub-sections of the "My Account" bit of the Member Centre. 
It's just occurred to me that the "Member Centre" seems no different to the "portal" - the terms are used interchangeably - so I suppose you could drop the term "My Account" and use "Member Centre" for the section of the portal that allows customers to change their account details and features.  And then the "portal" remains as the section of the PlusNet website that features news and links to resources for customers from within PlusNet and from outside of PlusNet.  IYSWIM. Smiley
HTH,
Martin
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
[off topic mode on]
Just like I use "program" for a computer program and "programme" for a list of events even though it isn't strictly correct
[/off topic mode off]

[off topic mode on again]
Actually that's spot on. In Britain 'programme' is used for everything (list of events, notes to go with a concert, something on TV, etc.) except for a piece of computer code, which is a 'program'.
[/off topic mode off again]