cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular router reset - IP Profile affected?

davidsh

Regular router reset - IP Profile affected?

Hi
My Draytek Router currently says that I am synced at:
8128 Receive/Down  448 Transmit/Up
SNR Margin is 16 and Loop Attenuation is 3
The router has never synced at anything less than those speeds, and I'm only 400m from the telephone exchange. I've had the same PlusNet connection since the exchange went live  many years ago.
BT's speed checker suggest:
DSL Connection rate 8128 Down 448 Up, which is fine BUT
The IP profile is set to 2000
A SpeedTest.Net check confirms that the max download speed is only running at 1.9Mbps, rather than the usual 6.9Mbps that I've been getting for years.  Nothing on the internal lines has changed, and the stats from the Router have always been the same.  The PlusNet High Speed Broadband check carried out in April suggests the line is good for 7Mbs. The router uptime stats do not suggest that it is disconnecting and reconnecting by itself i.e. it has a stable connection at those speeds.
My questions are:
1. What is likely to have forced the IP Profile so low?
2. Do I have to wait the 72 hours before it  will rise to the 7150 I would expect, or can this be forced up?
3. I said that it had a stable connection except for this:
A couple of weeks ago the router became unstable (problem I've had with Draytek routers and nothing to do with the actual line) and went into a cycle of re-booting itself. Since recovering it, I've taken to re-booting the router manually every day.  On some days when I've been fiddling with the settings, the router will sometimes also have to be re-booted for them to take effect.
Is this the likely cause of the low IP Profile? Does the DLAM think I have an unstable connection because the router keeps dropping the connection due to the re-boots? Is there anyway of avoiding this (other than chucking the Draytek in the bin!)?
Many thanks
David

3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Regular router reset - IP Profile affected?

Your best bet is to leave it on 24x7 and do no reboots. If the DLM doesn't raise the IP Profile itself within a couple of days, Plusnet will be able to see from their end that the line is stable and request a retrain which will put you back up to full speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davidsh

Thanks. I had guessed that it was the re-booting that might have caused the problem. I've also remembered that I've installed a wireless bridge in the last week or so that required a lot of reboots in order to set up the connection.
When the re-training has been done (either automatically or via Plusnet), am I going to be able to re-boot the router on a regular basis? And if I have to do maintenance on the router, which requires a lot of re-boots, would it be better to disconnect the ADSL line first to stop the constant connect disconnect?
Thanks again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Regular reboots e.g. once a day should be be OK - however hopefully in your router interface there is an option to disconnect which lets the exchange know it is a deliberate disconnect and not a problem ; doing that makes it safer.
If you know there will be a lot of reboots do a clean disconnect and then unplug the phone line until you've done all that needs doing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)