Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnects

DJ1UK
Grafter

Re: Regular disconnects

Hi
Thanks for the response.  Might have confused things, but I added todays post to and old thread when I had the same issue last month.  I will post updated router stats on Friday when I have access to the router again.
Its a newish house and they are still building around me.  So always unsure if its something the builders have done; disturbed a line, installing a new line to another house etc, noise from machines etc.
I don't have a master socket - external NTE.  I disconnected everything (phone, alarm, sky) except the broadband and filters - so will see if the line has been stable when I get back on Friday.  I also replaced all filters last month, so hopefully won't have to do that again.
I'll see what the line is like on Friday, then go through the process of replacing filters, reconnecting phone/sky one by one and monitoring.
Thanks for your help around the noise spikes, I will run RS and analyse these.
JWH.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Replying to my own post  Roll_eyes
Ok, so after being away for a day, I come back and the router has reset the internet connection at around 17:30.  Its a different router from last month (Netgear DGN2000);
System Up Time 50:46:15
PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WANPPPoA12385162240171124603:38:33
LAN10M/100M/1000M28140229600440108042150:46:07
WLANWLAN0000050:45:28

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6624 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 24.4 db 15.0 db
Noise Margin 14.2 db 24.0 db
All phones were unplugged from all sockets, sky box, alarm etc unplugged, wireless off Central heating now off for the winter ( ! )
So I will replace the filter on the socket the internet is connected to and take it from there.
Jwh
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Is there anything on a timer which switched on at 17:30?
This has the hallmarks of something causing frequent drops in synch causing the dslam to have raised your SNRM and thereby decreased your synch rate.  A radius log report would be useful to show the history of your disconnections (needs to be provided by PN support).  If DCT see this, they might post it here, otherwise you will need to raise a support ticket.
Fixing this might take time!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DJ1UK
Grafter

Hi,
I agree it might take time!  went through a similar issue last month.
Nothing comes on at that time - heating is off completly.  Unless it is something with the neighbour - if that is even possible ? (Semi detached house).
I have rasied ticket 70484756 anyway to see if it can be resolved.  It disconnected again at 08:20 this morning.
Jwh.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Could even be a thermostat on a Hot Water cyclinder!. If it's happening at a regular time ( or within a small time band) it could be anything electrical in your house or the neighbours are even slightly further afield. Obviously check out if any of your own stuff may be operating at these times. The trouble with things like faulty thermostats is that they won't necessarily cause a problem every time, most do but not always.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Hi all,
Thanks - I don't have a hot water cylinder so at least I know its not that!
I'm still receiving regular disconnects.  Have been away for a week and it looks like I lost connection around Wednesday (according to my router), but the connection log plusnet provided doesn't show this.
Can someone from plusnet post an updated log as I have had 2 or 3 disconnections today (one of which was me moving the router and swapping the filter as there was increased noise on the line).  Ticket 70732869 is open for this.
Back to square 1... have disconnected everything, moved the router to the socket nearest where the line enters (external NTE) and replaced all adsl filters.
syates
Grafter

Hope you get some help with this.  I've had a similar problem for the last year! 
While it is almost certainly the line at fault, Plusnet are very loath to bother BT about it (more so since BT started charging for engineer visits where their tests indicate that the line meets the specs for voice transmission).
Plusnet will eventually say that unless it is falling over at least 3 times a day or 6 times in a 3 day period, then the amount of disconnects you are getting is acceptable, and then basically ignore you.
Let's hope you are fixed before that happens Wink
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks for the words of support! ... having similar intermittent problems for the last 3 months.
Just really difficult to diagnose and get to the bottom of. Problem is it's a newish estate so loads of building going on and i never know if its the line being disturbed or not.
And due to the disconnects my BT IP Profile is 0.35mb - not very usable (usually get speed of around 6.5).
Lets wait and see what happens!
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again, jwh.
Just a quick comment on one of your earlier remarks about picking up an old thread, no don't apologise, this is much better than starting a new one as all the history is in one place.
Just reading your reply #20, I see you've got an external NTE. Go and have a look at the internal wiring that's connected to it.
You should only have two wires connected in a Broadband situation as shown in this picture - those are Blue/white & White/blue. If the Orange/white is connected (terminal 3 - bellwire) remove it at this external NTE by gently pulling it vertically from the IDC terminal. Be very careful not to pull out the Blue/white & White/blue wires.
If you do accidentally pull them out do NOT push them back into the jaws of the terminal with a screwdriver or similar implement, you risk opening the jaws which rely on making contact with the wire through the insulation - hence the name IDC - Insulation Displacement Connector. To replace a wire, ideally use an IDC tool, otherwise push the wire down either side of the jaws with a suitable implement, maybe a pair of tweezers, or perhaps just one side at a time.
Also check the back of all your internal sockets and make sure that none of them have a ring capacitor. If any of them do make sure that the Orange/white wires are removed from terminal 3.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

^^ what he say's
also if like me your house came pre wired with sockets in every bedroom +the lounge, p into the roof space and look at the terminal block up there, mine had no cover on it and was full of dust and damp causing all kinds of tracing faults which showed zero problems on the isp equipment but all kinds of issues on my router log
if that's the case an old ice cream tub upturned over it to keep the wind and dust off it (bust first clean the contacts of the filth with some dry air or air duster,
then check every phone socket, at least one of them will have a loose connection and or a bunch of shorting out bare wires (because building subcontractors are useless like this and never finish the job properly on a Friday) so use some electrical tape and isolate all the bare ends, in theory it shouldn't matter but there's probably some bare wire's at a different point in the wiring which will have phantom short's caused by air currents flowing within the cavity walls moving the bare connector ends together causing tracking faults to occur.
this sort of problem is most evident when the BTOR tech visits and shoves his modulation tester into the wires on the NTE box and then gets different results from the inside of the building at the nominated master socket.....  but luckily it was down to my landlord to pay for all of that  instead of me forking out £500 for 2 engineer visits to repair and replace it all  Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.. getting into an unknown area for me.
The external NTE DOES have an orange/white cable plugged in as well as blue/white, white/blue.  Was scared to pull it out though.. will this affect my phone connection or is it totally not required. (Line used for phone and broadband, just wanted to clarify the comment about 'Connected in a Broadband situation').
All internal sockets DO NOT ring have capacitors.
Attached are photos of the 3  internal sockets;
Socket 1 is nearest where the phone line enters house. Broadband router and wired phone connected here for now.
Socket 2 is in living room - other side of wall to socket 1 (bad photo, but is connected same as socket 1) (where i usually have the phone plugged in).
Socket 3 is upstairs in study.  This has the wires going through the connectors then continuing on. (where I usually have the broadband router).
However now I have unscrewed the sockets only socket 1 works with the phone  Sad  Should the blue/white wire be bare in the connector or should pushing it down automatically connect it?  
I have an IDC punch-down tool I used to wire up Cat5 cable, but wary that this will trim the ends of the wires as well as pushing it down into the socket (especially on socket 3).  Whats the best way to resit the wires in the connectors as I think it is just a lose blue/white wire that's resulting in the phones not working?
If needs be, I'll get a BT engineer around to look at the internal wiring.  Is this something that PlusNet can arrange or is it better getting someone local / yellow pages?  (I doubt warranties you get with new build houses includes internal phone wiring?).
Sorry for all the questions.  
Thanks for your help - very much appreciated.
John.
Anotherone
Champion

I'd forget getting a BT engineer, that would cost you over £100. If you have a punch down tool and have wired Cat5 cable, you are quite capable of sorting this lot out.
The fact that socket 1 is the only one working with the phone does suggest a poor connection on one of the terminals 2 & 5 elsewhere. They don't need to be bare, just pushed down (as it would be with Cat5). The cable you see here is CW1308 specification twisted pair cable.
Whilst you are sorting this lot out, I would log into your modem/router and drop your Internet PPP session (click Disconnect) and then wait a moment and then power down the modem/router. This is so there aren't any drops of sync whilst you are reconnecting things which could be seen by the exchange DLM as a dropped connection.
What is slightly baffling is the fact that only one of the sockets (no:3) has two lots of wires. You'd normally expect the sockets to be "daisy chain" wired so intermediate sockets would have 2 sets of wires and the last socket have one set. Are there two sets of cables coming from the external NTE? I can only guess that maybe one set to socket 3 comes from the NTE and the other goes to socket 2? and socket 1 comes from the NTE as well.
The way the wires are on socket 3 is diabolical with those bare wires. If the cable is long enough, I would snip off the wires with the bare bits by each terminal in turn, snip off the remaining inch with the bare bit, and then punchdown the Blue/white and White/blue into the respective terminals (2 & 5) on top of the others. If the cable isn't long enough, put a bit of tape around each bare bit. You don't need to reconnect the Orange on 3, you can leave them out making sure there is no bare wire, coil them back around the rest of the cable.
The bell-wire (Orange/white on terminal 3) is not needed in a broadband installation because for any phone that needs a bell-wire, the filter provides a local filtered one (assuming all your Microfilters look like this) apart from which most modern phones don't need the bell-wire.
It is an unfiltered bell wire connected in an installation that picks up interference disrupting a broadband signal, so you can safely remove it from the external NTE5 if your filters look like the previous link.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Ok thanks for the advice.
Yes I agree socket 3 has two wires going in/out it so I expect one is daisychained to another then the last socket comes direct from external nte .. but will check the wiring again in the external nte later in the week.
I’m not going to have time to do this now, but will rewire all internal sockets this week and report back .. likely to be towards the end of the week.  Might also buy new sockets to be on the safe side.
Thanks for your help… hopefully saved me a small fortune.  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

If there is only one cable coming from the external NTE, see if you can work out the route, there could be a hidden internal connection box somewhere which then feeds two cables. It could even be an NTE5b but they aren't that common these days, they are like the NTE5a except the lower half is a blank plate instead of a socket.
Do check the Blue/white and White/blue are secure in their connectors in the external NTE in particular. If the wiring was perchance installed by some ham-fisted person and the IDC terminals have been widened so as to not grip the wires correctly, you can in some of them, carefully push the "wings" for want of a better description back closer together by careful use of a small screwdriver in the appropriate place. Other than that, the other trick is to strip the end of the wire about 3/4" and fold it back in half over itself and then twist it together a bit, effectively making it about twice the normal size wire.
If you decide to replace any of your sockets, then you need standard Secondary BT flush sockets, you can get them for around £2. Watch the prices at local sheds they can be a bit of a rip-off.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jwh

actually its part of the contract for 1 year all faults are covered, then it depends on the handbook details (most cover wiring, sockets and light fittings for 2 years or 5 years but not light bulbs or buyer equipment)
so unless you have more money than sense get on to the builders and get them to fix the problem for free.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you