Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular disconnects

DJ1UK
Grafter

Regular disconnects

Hi
I keep getting disconnected from the Internet, DSL,  every 24 hours or so and as such my IP profile is now down to 0.35.
It's a newish house and so has an external NTE without test socket. More new hoses being built across from Me so maybe this has disturbed something?
3 internal sockets, 1 connected to alarm, 1 to sky and 1 to router... All with filters on them.  I've disconnected the sky and alarm and still get disconnects.
Ticket raised (69150222) and interleaving requested to be turned on.
What would the next steps be if connection doesn't become stable?
Thanks!
Stats as follows;
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 3:51:47
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,100 / 6,656
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,560
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 68.11
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 23.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 42 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 393,218 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 458,758 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 296,609
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 765
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / NA
34 REPLIES 34
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Regular disconnects

Well your downstream bandwidth is 6560 kbps so if your IP profile is 0.35 then something is wrong.  If 0.35 is your Plusnet 'Current Line Speed' then you need to ask them to put it right.
With regard to the disconnections, you need to try to identify the cause.  Do they happen at the same time each day, so example?
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
Should have said the PlusNet current speed is 5.5 it's the BT IP profile that is 0.35, I expect because of frequent disconnections.
Line has been stable for months, nothing changed with setup or phones etc... That's why I'm suspecting a faulty filter or external fault.  Only have the one fitted with router at the moment, so if disconnects again will replace the filter and see how it goes.
Really want to get to 5 days stable to see if my ip profile will increase again! Very frustrating.
Thought disconnections were at 7pm each night, but today's was nearer 6pm, nothing comes on or changes at this time in the house.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I can see that after testing from our faults team, they have made a few tweaks to your line. Hopefully this will improve things for you.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
Yes Luke and the team (or maybe just Luke!) were great yesterday at keeping in touch and trying to resolve the issue.
The BT IP profile has gone back to normal, but I am still experiencing slow speeds.  Been connected for 15 hours so far.
Yesterday I noticed the IP profile increase, and after talking to Luke, rebooted the router and the speed jumped up to around 6Mbps.  But then around 4pm, there were a few disconnections and the speed dropped again.  
As I need a stable connection during today I'll leave it as is and if the speed doesn't improve I'll try rebooting the router later this evening and take it from there.
Current stats:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.06 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.17 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps
Will keep monitoring the connection and update the support ticket if needed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi jwh,
I've just made a change to the speed profile set on our side, are you able to log into your router and hit the disconnect button and connect again to see if that change has done the trick?
DJ1UK
Grafter

Thanks... have disconnected and reconnected, seems to have done the trick;
Download speed achieved during the test was - 6.27 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7.17 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 6 Mbps
Lets hope it stays stable later today when the disconnections usually happen (around 5pm - 7pm)
DJ1UK
Grafter

Spoke too soon.  Just been disconnected and line speed back down to 2Mbps  Sad
Will monitor it this afternoon and see how many more disconnections there are.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like the disconnection was initiated from ourside. I've checked your line and it's showing 6Mb/s sync speed. Let me know how your speed is.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Hi
Looks like the BT IP profile has been reduced again, so will have to wait for this to go back up.
Time: 15:40
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.11 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Thanks again
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just had your profile lifted, I'd suggest you monitor your connection over the next few days and we'll go from there.
You should see an improvement in the next couple of hours.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Was all looking ok last night, a couple of disconnects this morning but speed kept stable.
However just been disconnected again (DSL) and BT IP profile gone down to 1.25Mbps
Will keep monitoring
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If there is no improvement then if you could reply to your fault ticket so I faults team can investigate this further.
DJ1UK
Grafter

Had a few disconnections over the last few days.  So my IP profile has reduced;
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.36 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Your DSL Connection Rate :6.53 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps
Is it just a case of waiting 3 days again to see if it improves?
If not, I will raise a fault ticket and progerss the issue that way.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

JWH,
Looking at the router stats you posted (would be useful to have more recent router stats) the SNRM (15dB) seems rather high, whilst for the DS attenuation (23dB) the synch speed seems quite low.  I note that you are on ADSL1 not ADSL2/2+.  Are you on a problematic line?  The Attenuation would suggest that the line is not long.  Kitz suggests that a DS attenuation of 23dB on ADSL2+ might deliver a synch speed of 19meg which is a far cry from what you have now.
Can you identify any electrical devices being switched at the time of the synch losses plotted by RS?  I recommend long term RS recording and looking for time of day patterns to synch loss.  Look at the detailed data in the RS stats file to see if the SNRM fall off is a single step or gradual.  What is the RS sample time?  10 seconds would be useful in trying to identify any noise spikes.
I have been doing such monitoring for months in investigation my own intermittent performance.  I have traced my noise spikes to be passing trains on the WCML - the highest recorded spike was -6dB, therefore a 'background' SNRM of 6dB or lower is likely to result in the loss of synch.  Consequently I had been running with a target of SNRM of 9dB with the consequential loss of synch rate.  Looking at your graph and router stats makes me wonder if you are in a similar state.
Have you tried any tests from the test socket?  Tried a new filter?  Checked out your internal wiring?
@DCT is this line banded / has the SNRM been set high due to repeated synch loss?
HTH
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.