Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce SNR from 6db to 3db

benstrange97
Hooked

Reduce SNR from 6db to 3db

Hello, 

I've had an EE ADSL line running at 3db for the last year or so with no issues at all.

I've had a second line activated today (on Plusnet) which is running at 6db so it's a bit slower than the EE line, I was just wondering if this could be lowered at all to match the existing EE line?

Many thanks,

Ben

6 REPLIES 6
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Reduce SNR from 6db to 3db

DLM should do it automatically once the initial line training period is over.
benstrange97
Hooked

Thanks for that,

I've just noticed, there seems to be a lot of errors being generated, does anyone know why this could be, also the attenuation looks to be slightly higher than the existing line. 

I've attached a screenshot (Plusnet line is WAN2)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

No two lines are identical, even to the same property as they could be routed differently. That said a 1dB difference is neither here nor there. In fact the firmware differences could be the culprit.

WAN2 rather looks as though there was noise on the line when it synch'd up. Do a quiet line test from time to time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

benstrange97
Hooked

Cheers for that,

Bare in mind the errors have steadily increased overnight too, attached another screenshot...

Ben

benstrange97
Hooked

I've also bought a cheap wired phone to do a quiet line test with, both lines are absolutely silent.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I would suspect that either the RX CRC error counter is broken if it always says zero after a few days uptime, or perhaps one line has FEC+interleaving which is correcting any corrupted data, and the other line doesn't.

DSL technology is designed to work at a certain error rate, so a certain level of errors is normal and to be expected.